What is your average driving distance in APCD?

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.

Less than 240 yards
No votes
240 to 260
12%
260 to 280
20%
280 to 300
48%
300 to 320
20%
Longer
No votes

Total votes: 25

Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

I am considering adding some additional tees to Gozzer Ranch, but before making that decision I would like to know what the average driving distance is?
Ian
pmgolf

Re: What is your average driving distance in APCD?

Post by pmgolf »

My average is actually 250 to 270, and the distance is a bit self-imposed. With RTS, if I use any mouse-acceleration, the mouse movement is too sensitive to make the back and forth movement smoothly, but if I don't use any mouse acceleration I can't get the swing speed fast enough to get the full distance. I wind up using about 95% power, pausing at the top of the swing just like with a real golf swing. I prefer using Links as a golf simulation, with shooting below par as the goal. To me, that's the beauty of Links 2003 - it can be used in so many different ways.

[And Ian - go ahead and add different tees. A longer tee on one hole can be off-set by a shorter tee on another. You don't necessarily have to use all the new tees - it's just available to add more variety. Crooked Creek is a terrific example of longer tees.}

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

pmgolf wrote: May 25th, 2024, 12:51 pm
[And Ian - go ahead and add different tees.

Pete
Agree with Pete on tees.

Pro clicker. Distance is based on stats from Pete's league.

Dave
No matter where you go, there you are.
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

My philosophy in Links has always been that if I wanted to shoot 90, I'd go to a real course. I want to see what it feels like to be a professional and shoot in the 60's. As far as your design goes, it's fine with whatever suits your eye. Players can choose what they want to play. Your courses have always been great and I thank you for that.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Kunkleman wrote: May 26th, 2024, 1:32 pm My philosophy in Links has always been that if I wanted to shoot 90, I'd go to a real course. I want to see what it feels like to be a professional and shoot in the 60's.
Totally agree!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Kunkleman wrote: May 26th, 2024, 1:32 pmto see what it feels like to be a professional and shoot in the 60's.
Fun fact - currently, all but four players on the PGA tour are sitting at a scoring average in the 70s :whistle: :tongue: :tomato:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

I have several versions of myself that I play, but I couldn't find where driving distance data is presented?
Thanks, Dave
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Captain Nemo wrote: May 26th, 2024, 7:48 pm I have several versions of myself that I play, but I couldn't find where driving distance data is presented?
Thanks, Dave
It's in the statistics that are generated when you save your recorded round. If you don't save your rounds, then it is either in the "course stats" or the "player stats" ("Options" on game's opening window, then choose one).

Pete
bostonlefty

Post by bostonlefty »

I play all 3 swing styles in equal amount of rounds:
Classic= 287 RTS= 278 Power=265
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Thank you to all.
I will be adding some additional tees to Gozzer Ranch and lake Club and using the "Ladies" tees..
If there are any ladies who would like a copy of the course with the real ladies tees, please let me know.
Thanks
Ian