My return to Links 2003....... maybe

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
Lez Marwick

My return to Links 2003....... maybe

Post by Lez Marwick »

Hi guys (and girls, if there are any here!)
It's been an awfully long time since I've played or designed courses for Links 2003! After leaving Links, I played a lot of Perfect Golf with my brother and also The Golf Club (original release) as well. I did enjoy designing on the latter and produced about twenty courses, but I only created one course for Perfect Golf as I didn't really enjoy working with its designer program because I had issues with it that prevented me from using all its features, which was frustrating. Since my brother MerkyMik's death though on July 24th 2018 I haven't played any golf games as the thought of doing so without my brother has been holding me back. For anyone who doesn't know, I've suffered from mental health issues for most of my life, including depression, anxiety and a host of phobias and I relied on my brother a lot, especially over the last decade. Losing him has been pretty devastating to me. It was the 2nd anniversary of his death on Friday and that day I ended up watching his Youtube channel for old time's sake. One video in particular was footage of us playing my beta of Anakena Beach together on Links 2003. At first I thought it might depress me too much if I watched it, but it actually had the opposite effect and now I'm really keen to try and get Links and APCD running again on my current PC, although I'm not sure how problematic that will be. I'm also suffering from memory problems these days, so even if I can get it all working by myself, I'm not sure how capable I'll be of playing, let alone course designing.
At least someone has posted an excellent video tutorial series here for the APCD that should help!!! :rofl:

Seriously, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get back into designing again, but I still might be able to help out by producing textures, hole previews, panos, custom objects, skies, or help someone struggling with course planting because those were the things that I think I did pretty well and should still be capable of. Updating old courses again might also be a possibility and another thing I'd quite like to do is make a few Links 2003 videos for Youtube of the courses I made, because the only one I've done so far for Links was of my Mowsbury Golf Club design. I know for sure I won't remember their layouts though, even though I played through them all countless times during their construction!
Anyway, the first job is to try and get Links 2003 installed and running again so hopefully I'll attempt that, with all its accompanying stress, in the next few days..... I need to just take it slowly, one step at a time, and see how it goes!! :fear:
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
jwgriffingca

Re: My return to Links 2003....... maybe

Post by jwgriffingca »

Hi Lez, welcome back - good to see you here again! It's clear the loss of your brother affected you deeply - understandably so - but I'm glad that returning to Links might give you some comfort and enjoyment again. The Links and APCD community will be happy to have you around, and having you contribute however you can is a bonus!

:thumbup:

John
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Sad to hear about the issues and your brother, but I was very happy when I saw you had posted. I watched at least 95% of your APCD videos (and a decent amount of them twice) a couple years ago and I am extremely grateful for them and everything you did for the community, cant possibly thank you enough.. Those videos were close to invaluable, I cant imagine how many APCD pitfalls you helped me sidestep with all the tidbits here and there for things to look out for - really huge thank you for making those. If you return I know it will be a huge boost for us all as a whole, I hope you're able to get things running :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Hello Lez! First may I say that I'm very sorry about the loss of your Brother. Losing family is so very difficult.

Second, I'm so glad to have you here! I feel like I know you - at least a little bit. I was overcome by the urge to use the APCD when a partially finished "Old Head GC" became available - I've wanted to see that course done for at least 10 years. With your lessons to help, and support from Danny D. and Adelade, I dove right in!

First thing, I set up all the pins (Your: Episode 56. Greens - Placing pins http://youtu.be/uP9OxWrLsPc)), and then I really got into it. Hole flyovers are now available on the web, so I started making minor changes to make the course look more like the flyover (and repaired some seam blends that I caused damage to :smile: ). Then I corrected scaling errors on the rock wall and buildings (your: Episode 23. Scaling textures). I released a Beta here at LinksCorner.

Now I've made even more changes, like adding the Friendship Stone and the Stone of Accord with a proper foundation.
I've learned how to plant tees, 2D objects and people, thanks to you, and used hi-rez textures you made available. I'm now on the verge of releasing the final for Old Head, and I owe you major thanks for your kind and considerate act of creating all those terrific lessons on using the APCD, which I have come to really enjoy!

If there's anything I can do to be of help to you, please don't hesitate to ask. You have made a friend!

Pete
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Great to see you back Lez. Made use of several of your videos when I got back in to designing myself earlier in the year. They are always useful when I forget stuff.
mickydavies

Post by mickydavies »

Lez,

Like everyone else I am so sorry to hear about your brother and your own problems. But I just want to say thank you so much for your video series. I have played Links for 20 years and have thought about building a copy of my own course for around 15 of those, but have never really made a decent effort - until I started watching your APCD series recently. It has enabled me to finally make a decent stab at it - and I enjoy improving by having a go and then coming back and looking at your videos again!

So. Welcome back. I hope you stay on the site and keep getting enjoyment out of it!
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Welcome home Lez. I can fully understand how you feel about losing your brother and playing partner. I too lost my playing partner of 20 years, and even though he was just an online golfing partner, we became really close friends. I took up course designing after I retired about 6 years ago, and don't really play Links other than testing courses. Playing by yourself just isn't the same. :sad: Like many others, I've consulted your video's many many times. Thank you VERY much for the time and effort that you put into that project. It is truly invaluable to us here at Links Corner. So glad you came back. :tiphat:

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Duglis

Post by Duglis »

Lez Marwick wrote: July 26th, 2020, 6:07 pm Hi guys! I need to just take it slowly, one step at a time, and see how it goes!! :fear:
Hi Lez, I've been playing Links games since the early 90s, I just recently started to post a lot!

Are there any real recreated courses you made for the golf club that haven't been recreated for Links 2003?

Just curious.
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

Duglis wrote: July 27th, 2020, 10:25 am Are there any real recreated courses you made for the golf club that haven't been recreated for Links 2003?
No. I normally only do fictional courses. Partly because I like the freedom and creative side of designing, partly because it's far easier, and partly because I know I couldn't create a real course to my own quality standards without access to more information and images than are usually available. The only real course I've created so far was Mowsbury for Links 2003 because it is my local course and I was able to take around 100 photos to work from, as well as having familiarity due to years of play there. I'm not confident enough to tackle most real courses. I did start PGA Catalunya for Links 2003 just before I left here, to see if I could manage with limited resources, but I can't find the course file now, even though I found the images I was using, so that is likely gone forever even if I do get back to designing. I do have a very vague memory that I might have deleted it in a moment of "well, I'll never be coming back to APCD again, so that can go!". It's strange though, because I've still got all the backups of everything else I did on APCD. :dunno:
my APCD designs - Ackerton Cross, Anakena Beach, Battley Peak, Elsham Woods, Fairview GC, Margaret's Bay, Masson Moor GC, Mowsbury Golf Club, The Dustin Trophy, Upham Hall Golf Club, Yarlswood Golf Club, Zeitsbergen
Lez Marwick

Post by Lez Marwick »

Great to see a few names I recognise, and to hear that people have found use in stuff I created. Appreciation certainly helps, and it was actually a complimentary post by an Obi Wan Kenobi that I noticed on my Mowsbury Youtube video on Friday that finally convinced me I should check out Links Corner again. I must have felt 'The Force'. :laugh: