Lambton Golf and Country Club

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Pete

Re: Lambton Golf and Country Club

Post by Pete »

Just wonderful will enjoy many happy rounds, many thanks LeWAW a pleasure to play :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Thanks Pete "the clone catcher" :notworthy:
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Franccis:

Thanks for the kind words.
And anytime you want more "Nits Picked" you know where I am! :cheers1:
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Thanks Jimbo :tiphat: your my friend :notworthy:
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Francois: I just played a full round on Lambton. It's an outstanding piece of work ! All your many hours of hard work are definitely evident here ! The color palate and textures used are VERY natural throughout. Plus, your 3D work on the Clubhouse, as well as the high-rise condos, is as good as it gets ! I use a relatively Hi-Res 25" monitor to play LINKS on, and the result is pretty darned "immersive" gameplay. The course felt very realistic and natural. You've created some nice courses....but so far, this is your best. I'm looking forward to you next project ! :thumbup:

PS: I Google Mapped where Lambton is actually located in Toronto, and it's hard to believe that it's practically in the heart of the city and not in an outlying area. PLUS.....I couldn't believe how many courses are in the Toronto metro area. It surprised me.

Weeler
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Thank you Weeler :notworthy:
dgrobo2000

Post by dgrobo2000 »

I have played a few rounds of Lambton G & C.C. from the tournament tees. It is a spectacular design of a great golf course. The only issue I found with the design is the accuracy of the hole yardages. Par 4 golf holes are generally measured to the centre of the fairway 285 yards out from the back tee and then the yardage to the centre of the green from that point is added to get the total hole yardage. I did a rough check on the yardages and found the following.

1st - Design yardage 434, Card Yardage 444.
3rd - DY - 397 CY - 402
4th - DY - 440 CY - 454
5th - DY - 191 CY - 192
6th - DY - 561 CY - 567
7th - DY - 535 CY - 545
8th - DY - 211 CY - 213
9th - DY - 391 CY - 411
10th - DY - 528 CY- 544
12th - DY - 136 CY - 140
13th - DY - 303 CY- 308
14th - DY - 430 CY - 438
15th - DY - 485 CY - 490
17th - DY - 248 CY - 252

I also noticed that the tee shot alignment on the 4th and 14th was towards the left side of the fairway.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

dgrobo2000, if you do the same test on 100 other real courses made for Links I daresay you'll find over half of them having a similar or even larger discrepancy in that regard. It is very common and for courses made using satellite imagery overlays or DEMs I have reason to believe the "error" most of the time was made by the real-life scorecard makers, with the APCD designers merely copying what they wrote. I have seen courses where the real scorecard makers clearly made the course seem longer on purpose to make the course seem more "impressive" or eligible for tournaments. Ive strarted strongly suspecting it is a bit of common practice in the industry.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Weeler wrote: August 29th, 2020, 6:42 pm Francois: I just played a full round on Lambton. It's an outstanding piece of work ! All your many hours of hard work are definitely evident here ! The color palate and textures used are VERY natural throughout. Plus, your 3D work on the Clubhouse, as well as the high-rise condos, is as good as it gets ! I use a relatively Hi-Res 25" monitor to play LINKS on, and the result is pretty darned "immersive" gameplay. The course felt very realistic and natural. You've created some nice courses....but so far, this is your best. I'm looking forward to you next project ! :thumbup:

PS: I Google Mapped where Lambton is actually located in Toronto, and it's hard to believe that it's practically in the heart of the city and not in an outlying area. PLUS.....I couldn't believe how many courses are in the Toronto metro area. It surprised me.

Weeler
Hi Weeler: Actually that area (Etobicoke is just west of downtown) -you can get a couple of nice views! :clapping:
Lambton practically backs onto St. George's-and Weston (where Arnie won his first) is just up the street from St. George's and St. George's sister course (Islington) is just down the street. It's a golfer's "Murderer's Row". Heck, even golfers in Toronto tend to overlook Lambton! Believe it or not there are courses that are even closer to downtown-Donalda and Scarboro is in the east end-also a former Canadian Open host club...and that's just a few of (as the police would say) "Toronto's Finest".
Canada tend to be overlooked when the subject turns to golf...I think that this has had the desired effect! :clapping:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Adelade wrote: August 30th, 2020, 10:37 am dgrobo2000, if you do the same test on 100 other real courses made for Links I daresay you'll find over half of them having a similar or even larger discrepancy in that regard. It is very common and for courses made using satellite imagery overlays or DEMs I have reason to believe the "error" most of the time was made by the real-life scorecard makers, with the APCD designers merely copying what they wrote. I have seen courses where the real scorecard makers clearly made the course seem longer on purpose to make the course seem more "impressive" or eligible for tournaments. Ive strarted strongly suspecting it is a bit of common practice in the industry.
Hi Adelaide-just wondering, were your yardages taken to the centre of the green? I'm sure that you did-I'm just asking a smart-ass question! :whistle: