APCD issues:red grass and no foresting

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
72Animal

APCD issues:red grass and no foresting

Post by 72Animal »

Hi everyone, it would appear that my APCD install is fouled up. I opened up Royal LIverpool in Links 2003 to play test it yesterday, and found the grass planting turns red in the distance. I open it up in APCD and when I select the grass it doesn't appear in the 2D preview window. I have also discovered that I cannot forest plant. Which makes grassing a links course more than daunting. :wallbash: So, my fellow designers my question is this, what is the best thing to do? 1- Re-install APCD? Then open up Liverpool file? 2- Use current APCD, delete all grass, then re-install APCD with fresh new grass TGA, open up Liverpool and see if I can forest-plant again? 3- Will dumping user library also redo 2d objects or only affect textures? 4- Any other suggestions you guys might have! Below is Liverpool from the 1st tee in my Links.
Attachments
redgrassLiverpool.jpg
redgrassLiverpool.jpg (216.44 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
sagevanni

Re: APCD issues:red grass and no foresting

Post by sagevanni »

I seem to remember someone else recently having the forest issue........try running APCD as administrator if not already..

Sage..... :smile:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Hi,
are you sure it's not the grass itself ?
it happens to me 15 years ago with this kind of grass...
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

You probably have the same issue I had in this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=392 I can easily summarize it though by saying MrMoggie told me try running APCD without admin and when I did so I could forest plant. I did this then turned admin on again after forest planting was done and I have not discovered any planting issues since.

I bet its caused by the very top of the grass being slightly more red.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Hi Sage, hi LeWaW, hi Adelade, thanks for checking out the topic! I think everyone is right to some extent. The grass .tga might be reddish. It is the same forest problem that Adelade had I think. I'll think I'm running APCD as Admin so I'll try to run without admin and see if it fixes anything. I've also pulled older files of Royal Liverpool from my old computer (Win Vista) to see how they play in Links and then open in APCD. Although that one is missing the HOURS of 3d work around the course and clubhouse. Going to fiddle with possible solutions and see.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

72Animal wrote: April 27th, 2020, 3:07 pm Hi everyone, it would appear that my APCD install is fouled up. I opened up Royal LIverpool in Links 2003 to play test it yesterday, and found the grass planting turns red in the distance. I open it up in APCD and when I select the grass it doesn't appear in the 2D preview window. I have also discovered that I cannot forest plant. Which makes grassing a links course more than daunting. :wallbash: So, my fellow designers my question is this, what is the best thing to do? 1- Re-install APCD? Then open up Liverpool file? 2- Use current APCD, delete all grass, then re-install APCD with fresh new grass TGA, open up Liverpool and see if I can forest-plant again? 3- Will dumping user library also redo 2d objects or only affect textures? 4- Any other suggestions you guys might have! Below is Liverpool from the 1st tee in my Links.
I've had this exact same grass do that Animal. After spending hours on trying to see what causes it, I eventually came to the conclusion that it has to do with some of the colors used in creating the images. When the APCD creates the lower rez images that it uses as you back away from a planted object, it seems to favor the reds contained within that particular image, which changes the whole plant to a reddish hue, as you are seeing. I tried to fix that by deleting the smaller images that I imported via the Links Extender, but it just re-created the same issue. The final solution for me was to find a different 2D grass.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

If when you select the grass in APCD and it doe's not show in the window
then the grass is corrupt. just delete it and see what happens . do the
most simple things first. Corrupt objects do all sorts of wild things !
Derrick
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

72Animal wrote: April 27th, 2020, 9:33 pm Hi Sage, hi LeWaW, hi Adelade, thanks for checking out the topic! I think everyone is right to some extent. The grass .tga might be reddish.
I was thinking about this earlier. One trick you might try to make that grass look right would be to edit it in Photoshop and remove the red hue from it. It's a good looking wild grass, but the change of color from a distance pretty much renders it useless... :sad:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

I agree, Dan, I like the look of it. Just not the red. I would photoshop it if I can get a good copy of it. Gotta try the course extender and remember which course it's from. Might be from Royal Lytham or Royal Troon. I'ill check it out.
Stephen Sullivan

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

72Animal wrote: April 28th, 2020, 7:15 pm I agree, Dan, I like the look of it. Just not the red. I would photoshop it if I can get a good copy of it. Gotta try the course extender and remember which course it's from. Might be from Royal Lytham or Royal Troon. I'ill check it out.
You have a PM :thumbup: