T-Problem with Seam Blends

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
BVDesigner152

T-Problem with Seam Blends

Post by BVDesigner152 »

Hello designers,

I have started with using the seam blends and came to following problem:
The T-Corner of seam blends.
Any help or solution with this? :helpsmilie:

Thanks in advance!
Bernie
Attachments
Seam_Blend_Problem_Top_view.JPG
Seam_Blend_Problem_Top_view.JPG (695.66 KiB) Viewed 4379 times
,,I still don't know everything about the game, but I'm trying."
sagevanni

Re: T-Problem with Seam Blends

Post by sagevanni »

Hi BVD.......

I find it best to keep it as simple as possible........know one is gonna notice anything unless it's really messed up.
blend-1.JPG
blend-1.JPG (307.22 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
blend-2.JPG
blend-2.JPG (255.17 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
blend-4.JPG
blend-4.JPG (263.27 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
blend-3.JPG
blend-3.JPG (138.66 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
Sage...... :smile:
Last edited by sagevanni on March 2nd, 2020, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
BVDesigner152

Post by BVDesigner152 »

So you don´t have any fringe on that hole? Just fairway? And the seam blends of course.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Sometimes a fringe.....sometimes not....LOL
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

blend-5.JPG
blend-5.JPG (203.06 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
blend-6.JPG
blend-6.JPG (142.35 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

BVD.....

All my courses are unlocked......open them up and take a look.......

I like to keep it simple as I mentioned.....

Sage..... :smile:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

BVDesigner152, its a good question that sadly may not have any particularly great solution... As Sage shows, you might want to consider these basic type configurations shown in my picture below instead, simply because they are so much less trouble and so much easier to work with. I think these 2 are the most common configurations among today's designers.

SBexample1.jpg
SBexample1.jpg (20.33 KiB) Viewed 4365 times

There is also the type where fairway and green areas are completely separated from eachother by rough.

That being said, I dont think its fully impossible to have the configuration you're having, its just very tricky to get it to look nice, and odds are that if looking closely enough there will always remain at least a slight trace of weirdness. I did a very similar configuration to what you have (except that I used extrusion style seamblends, but I dont think that changes things too drastically) for my course (Amedal GK, its unlocked and can be viewed), and I think I got away with many T-style seamblends as you call them without them looking weird unless you actually make a project out of actively searching for them and unnaturally zooming in on them very closely. To explain better I marked sections of your own screenshot to make them easier to refer to:

SBexample2.jpg
SBexample2.jpg (695.53 KiB) Viewed 4365 times

The "solution" I came up with was to join 2 of the 3 blends together into a circle then fiddle enough with the 3rd one to make it join the other 2 as nice as possible. APCD seems to have a much easier time calculating path maps for closed circles rather than paths with 2 ends. In your case I think its safe to assume that if you keep going around with for example the sections I marked as blue and yellow, youll wrap around both the fairway and green into a big circle right? First I would calculate that as one path map. Then select the yellow section and make one Multi mapping for that one, and then select the blue section and make another Multi mapping for that one. Both those 2 Multi mappings will use the one same path mapping made for the big circle, you dont have to make a separate path mapping for each of them. (If both seamblends use the same set of planar mappings you dont even need to make 2 different multi mappings). If the circle still gets the error when trying to calculate the path, try remaking the path between the 2 sections you want to join together into a circle into a straighter one, and instead letting the red section have the sharp angle of the "T" shape. You could instead join red and blue sections into a circle, but because the fairway and fringe textures are visually closer to eachother than the rough texture, I recommend not doing it that way.

After that you fiddle about with the last remaining seamblend section of the 3 and try to make it look as good as possible... in my case my fringe and fairway textures were VERY similar in visual look so it wasnt too hard, but one method I did was to add verts closer to the T intersection along the fairway-fringe (red) border and leave a tiny piece that touches up against the (blue+yellow) without blending. After blending I moved verts around a little to achieve the best look. It may not be a good solution unless 2 of the 3 textures are visually similar enough... Im not sure.

In places where possible, a simpler method is hiding such T intections with a tree, bush, 2d grasses or some other object so it cant be seen anyway. Obviously that wont work for fairway/fringe/green areas...

If you want you can check out the thread where I asked basically the same question as you at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=231 Within it is some good info about how to get path maps to calculate for example.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

(In case you do decide to go with what I mentioned rather than change to a simpler configuration, and want to hear more detailed tips on how I made mine, you can always PM me. I wrote down exactly what I did with mine and specific methods I sometimes used for making it look slightly better, for myself to look at in the future if I needed.)
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:notworthy: Below is how I am doing my Seam Blends
but everyone as thier own idea's on how it's done
Green 1.png
Green 1.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 4323 times
BLEND 1.png
BLEND 1.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 4323 times
Tee Box.png
Tee Box.png (884.38 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
Textures.png
Textures.png (823.17 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
Hope this is of some help as Seams can be tricky
the best advice is to keep them as neat as possible
Derrick
BVDesigner152

Post by BVDesigner152 »

Hi derrick,

probably you and others are right with the seam blends that there isn´t any specific solution for this problem, because there is no Multiple in a Multiple mapping, so you can´t get it to work nicely. Appreciate your help and the tips how to change it. :clapping:
All of your images look so clean, I see that you are a little bit more experienced than me, so I still have to learn new things and ways of how using the APCD to make it look nice. But I really like that I get answers so quickly and from experienced people. :laugh:

So now I´m gonna have to start rearranging the whole course. :pcwhack:

By the way derrick, your images look really cool, I like it a lot gonna try out your system of texture combinations. :thumbup:

Bernie