Pot bunk walls

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
sagevanni

Pot bunk walls

Post by sagevanni »

Hi all,
Is there any APCD wiz kid out there that can do "pot bunker" walls and make them look good?
I can not seem to get the ones for Arcadia Bluffs to look good.
Let me know and I will indicate the ones on the course and link you to the course if interested in giving them a go.

Thanks everyone...... :smile:

Sage........ :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Stephen Sullivan

Re: Pot bunk walls

Post by Stephen Sullivan »

Adelade

Post by Adelade »

In what way dont they look good Sage?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Adelade.
I know it still needs it's seam blends but here...............
glaring example.JPG
glaring example.JPG (324.85 KiB) Viewed 188 times
glaring example1.JPG
glaring example1.JPG (134.83 KiB) Viewed 188 times
Sage....... :cheers1:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Well the good news is that this particular issue with stretched textures in certain places is fixable (Im not necessarily guaranteeing you will be 100% happy with the results, but probably at least 95% happy), the bad news is that it might be a bit annoying to go through... I hope you dont have too many of those type of irregular-shape potbunkers on the course :tongue: On the other hand, Im quite certain no other designer has ever gone through as much bunkerwork in APCD as you have Sage, so maybe this wont be a big deal for you lol.

I had a few bunkers similar to this on my Nine Bridges course, and what I did was to use several cylindrical mappings in one same bunker. I can probably explain it best with a bit of drawing on your first image:

IrregularPotbunkers.jpg
IrregularPotbunkers.jpg (622.36 KiB) Viewed 162 times

You could have 4 cylindrical mappings in different places (note that the one I marked with blue is actually slightly outside the bunker), and then apply the different mappings to different spots, like I've tried to show with the coloured line along the edge of the bunker - matching the faces with the cylindrical mapping of same colour. The green and orange mappings might not even be necessary, the blue and yellow ones might be able to cover the whole bunker decently enough, depends how meticulous you want to be about it. The problem is that you have to try make the border between different mappings be as inconspicuous as possible, but at least with the sod texture I used, it was easier than I thought it would be. Normally you can just gizmo move one of the mappings on the Z axis until the two mappings match up well enough.

The most annoying part is when you seamblend, you gotta keep track of which mappings are where (the Select-mapping-from-face button can help if you forget), and use one multi mapping for each cylindrical mapping, and assign them correctly, if you want the seamblends to look clean. Twice for each bunker too... since there is a seamblend both at the bottom and the at the top... On Nine Bridges I think I only had like 6 or so bunkers that needed more than one cylindrical mappings, so it wasnt too bad.

And remember, the sides that are most important are the ones towards the green, the ones on the opposite side will never be seen up close during gameplay, so it can pay off to be more meticulous in some spots and saving your energy on others.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Adelade as usual you present a well thought out solution. I REALLY appreciate the insight you bring to designing in APCD. I "THINK" I have worked something out to my satisfaction and when I get done doing it to the 17 bunkers in question I will post pics and maybe the course for everyone to look at and see if it meets expectations.

Thanks again Adelade...!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapping:

Sage....... :cheers1: