Links 2003 surface laptop win 10

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Lyleman222

Links 2003 surface laptop win 10

Post by Lyleman222 »

Hi guys

Just getting back into links after about 15 years I'm running a surface laptop on Windows 10, I'm just testing the demo currently but after install and starting the game I get a black splash screen then nothing, any tips to get the game working

Many thanks Al
Adelade

Re: Links 2003 surface laptop win 10

Post by Adelade »

I dont really know much about the demo, but try compatibility mode for Win 7 (right click LinksMMIII.exe > properties). If that fails, please provide us with more info about your system.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Lyleman222

Post by Lyleman222 »

Thanks will test
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

What Surface rev.? As they're integrated Intel graphic chips, you'll probably need the Voodoo/DX wrapper referenced in the stickied post.
Lyleman222

Post by Lyleman222 »

It's a surface 4 with Intel 520 integrated graphics I get the links 2003 little box then a bigger black box then it gives me the famous not responding and it then stalls
I've tried various things including the wrapper to no avail , it's almost like it wants to opened windowed
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Has anyone here gotten the demo to work? The fixes are all made for the full game, which was updated several times to a current 1.07 version. I dont know but it is possible that they fail because the demo is too old?
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Lyleman222

Post by Lyleman222 »

I've now tried the full version still getting same issues unfortunately
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Did you do a clean uninstall of the demo beforehand? Did you install the 1.07 patch (I think the download version of the game includes it though?), and did you get the Nvidia patch? Try setting up the Wrapper from scratch now that you have the full game. Try compatibility mode for Win 7 and running the game as Admin. If none of those work, let us know at what point you get issues / how far you get / what you see. You can, with the help of either the Wrapper or the Registry Edit, force the game to open in certain resolutions or full screen / windowed.
Lyleman222

Post by Lyleman222 »

It gives me the small links 2003 splash box then a larger black box opens and it sometimes disappears but nothing you go into task manager and it says its running! Other times the black box just sits there saying not responding

What's are the voodoo and registry settings you can use it to force load?

Thanks
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Wrapper is the one you said you tried before for the demo version - see the General tab of the .exe config file for it.

RegEdit:
viewtopic.php?t=478
Mode is resolution according to the table in that link.
Windowed 0 = Full Screen, Windowed 1 = Windowed.

You can also try launching Links from both LinksMMIII.exe and LinksLauncher.exe , there is a remote possibility that one of them will work better than the other.

Some USB devices can cause problems with launching Links, try launching Links with none plugged in to test whether that is the issue.

Yet another thing you could test: in the Compatibility tab, Change high DPI settings > Override high DPI scaling