Genesis Invitational

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Weeler

Genesis Invitational

Post by Weeler »

I just watched the finish of the Genesis Invitational at Riviera, and I'm a little "confused" about something, maybe someone can shed some light on the situation. During the post-match interview with winner Hideki Matsuyama ( superb finishing round, btw ), Amanda Renner spoke in English to both Hideki and his interpreter ( since Mr. Matsuyama both understands and speaks very little English ). Amanda asked the questions in English, of course, but the interpreter did NOT explain to Hideki in Japanese, before he replied in Japanese , and the interpreter replied in English back to Amanda. One part of the translation was missed here....am I missing something ??? OR, did I have one too many beers during the final round ?

I thought some of the "jockeying around" of positions in the last round was fun to watch, it had one guessing who would win for awhile.

Reply if you can help explain my quandry........

Ron
JimEvers37

Re: Genesis Invitational

Post by JimEvers37 »

Weeler,

If Mr. Matsuyama both understands and speaks very little English I presume he understood the question well enough to respond to it in Japanese but not in English, that would be why the interpreter didn't have to translate the question to him. I watched it off and on as the Stadium Series game was on at the same time.

Jim
Adelade

Re: Genesis Invitational

Post by Adelade »

Yeah it is often done that way when someone can understand a second language well enough for the most part, but (understandably) feel more comfortable phrasing their answer in their own language - especially since one single poor choice of words into a microphone has a rather explosive risk of leading to you being absolutely annihilated across all of media.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...