Changes to Terrain Plot Size

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Volorgas

Changes to Terrain Plot Size

Post by Volorgas »

Is it possible to add to the terrain plot, after it is established at the creation of a new course? For example, let's say you start developing a course and you need to expand the terrain plot on the right side, because your course design is not centered and you need additional plot on one side. Can you do this or is it impossible to change the plot size after the course is created? can the plot be trimmed one one side and be expanded on another? lastly, can you somehow select all that has already been developed and move it to be more centered in the plot? Then cleanup the faces, edges and verts that are out of whack because of the move? Thanks.
Adelade

Re: Changes to Terrain Plot Size

Post by Adelade »

Depends if you're talking about DEM imported terrain or not. Im no expert on DEMs but I imagine it would be impossible to add more DEM terrain after the initial import.

If you dont need the expanded section to be DEM, then there are several ways to expand the plot. The plot can be trimmed on the other side too yes but that is not necessary in order to expand it somewhere else.

You can use the "Create Face" tool under the Terrain > Face tabs as the most basic method. However, that is a pretty slow method. Whenever I expand plots I simply grab the plot-border verts and move them outwards on the XY plane in the top view, then add verts inside them mostly with the terrain painter and turn edges and delete or add verts and adjust the elevations and whatever I need to do to fix the newly generated area afterwards.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Volorgas

Post by Volorgas »

Thanks Adelade. As always, your insights are most helpful.
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

IMO, you can't really know what the final plot shape/size needs to be until you actually start working on the course. Particularly if you've not done alot of designs. So most designers would be adding/stretching/reducing the plot as their design evolves.

I don't believe there is a way of "moving/twisting the plot" once your design has progressed. Maybe there is a technique that I'm just not aware of.
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)