Kinloch Golf Club (Manakin-Sabot, Virginia)

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
GoBucks

Re: Kinloch Golf Club (Manakin-Sabot, Virginia)

Post by GoBucks »

Some people don't know how, or choose not to, use the search tool that is available on this sight. It's pretty handy.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

pmgolf wrote: December 29th, 2023, 12:33 pmWhat irritates me is that Brandywine already knew that I was doing it when he declared he was going to do it
I very much understand your frustration, but I really dont think he knew that you were doing it when he started the course. He said he had done a lot of work on the course before covid, which must mean that even if he DID see your post that you linked now, he was already far along at that point. It is likely that he didnt see that you were working on it until much later than that. A lot of people come and go, cant expect everyone to read every post on this forum. I agree that it would be ideal if people asked or announced when starting new real courses in order to avoid these kinds of situations, but I also dont think it is fair to hate on someone for not doing it. If we threw rocks at everyone who has started a real course without announcing anything, there would barely be any unharmed designers left! For example, several designers enjoy keeping their work secret until closer to being finished, or until knowing whether they will be likely to finish what they start. We recently had a forum thread where people expressed frustration about designers having "promised" to make certain courses and then the projects seemingly falling through. Yes, promise was the actual word being used... That thread hardly made designers who saw it more likely to announce anything when starting courses.

Anyhow, it seems to me that Pete approves of a new version by Ian, and Brandywine back then didnt seem opposed to someone else making another version, so I think it is fair game for Ian to make a new one if he wants to, at least if receiving no reply from Brandywine. I would personally love to see the course completed by either of you, including Ian.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

GoBucks wrote: December 29th, 2023, 1:14 pm Some people don't know how, or choose not to, use the search tool that is available on this sight. It's pretty handy.
Well the search tool is pretty flawed on this site for some reason, I searched for Kinloch and didnt find the thread I linked to, despite Kinloch literally being in the thread's title. I only found it because I had some tiny memory of the guy's username.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Ian Wells wrote: December 29th, 2023, 5:29 am Colin,
After the other post on this topic, I am not sure if I am up to that challenge. :dunno:
Very intrigued as to which is your latest course.

Ian
Yes, those waters around Kinloch are more treacherous than they might appear Ian!

LOL - went off on a tangent from Sydney after Linkster sent me a DEM. Only a few days now and it's all done. Good feeling when you know the end is in sight, right?

For the record, someone did get told once that I was working on a course but then proceeded to do it anyway. I had virtually abandoned APCD design at that time (and had promised a couple of courses that never materialized) so I just let it go. I was only a bit annoyed because it meant it would be worthless to ever come back and finish my version if I wanted to do so. But that's not a good enough reason to stand in someone's way - so good for him. But, honestly, I still found it a strange thing that you ask if anyone else is doing a course, get told they are and then carry on regardless! :laugh:
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Good feeling when you know the end is in sight, right?
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have just released The Golf Club at Black Rock for testing, so I now have that feeling, plus a little nervousness :scared:

I PM'd Brandyvine and now wait for a response, until then I am searching the internet for a new project.

Ian