Bakers Flat revisited....

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Duck Hook

Bakers Flat revisited....

Post by Duck Hook »

Sooo..... Going through some old beta's I was looking at a course designed by an old friend I gave a makeover to back in 2017.

Happened to stumble across a pano that couldn't fit the course more perfectly so I hope to do some hole previews and a new splash screen and get a final released ( 6 years later ) to help cure a problem I seem to have of getting a course to a beta stage and no further....

:cheers1:
T
BF1.jpg
BF1.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 2910 times
BF2.jpg
BF2.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 2910 times
BF3.jpg
BF3.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 2910 times
BF4.jpg
BF4.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2910 times
BF5.jpg
BF5.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 2910 times
BF6.jpg
BF6.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 2910 times
1PuttJeff

Re: Bakers Flat revisited....

Post by 1PuttJeff »

Duck Hook,

I love the photos you posted of this course and the detail is awesome with the benches and overall landscape! It would be great for someone to complete the pano for the course and I will be anxious to play Baker's Flat sometime. :fcrossed:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I was very tempted to download and try this beta many times in the past but the note about there being no hole previews always made me choose not to (I very much appreciated the fair warning though, downloading and then finding out there are no hole previews feels worse). I knew I was likely missing out on something good but hole previews are just so essential to me because of playing without top cam. Happy to hear about the revisit, only worried the course might be too narrow for my liking (no clue if it is really, but many fictional courses tend to be), however there are many linksters who enjoy those type of courses too so even if it is, Im not saying thats necessarily a bad thing.

Havent tried Desperation Hills yet but very much looking forward to it probably this weekend, Ava's Field was certainly to my liking from a difficulty perspective (and other perspectives too).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

1PuttJeff wrote: October 17th, 2023, 3:47 pm Duck Hook,

It would be great for someone to complete the pano for the course and I will be anxious to play Baker's Flat sometime. :fcrossed:
A quote from Duck Hook :"a pano that couldn't fit the course more perfectly."

Did I misread That?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

1PuttJeff wrote: October 17th, 2023, 3:47 pm Duck Hook,

I love the photos you posted of this course and the detail is awesome with the benches and overall landscape! It would be great for someone to complete the pano for the course and I will be anxious to play Baker's Flat sometime. :fcrossed:
Thanks Jeff. Maybe you are getting this course and Desperation Hills mixed up? This course was released as a beta in 2017 without a pano ( or hole previews ) but just stuffing about last night I stumbled across a pano, I assume by Daniel Watson, that fits this course - Bakers Flat perfectly.
I will complete hole previews and a new splash screen and release as a final.

Hi Adelade. I suppose it could be considered a narrow course, really only a handful of holes. But not too narrow as to be unfair I don't think. There is one hole with probably one of the skinniest fairways produced for Links but the hole is only 280 metres long so unless there is a wind up your clacker and you are attempting to drive the green it's usually only an iron off the tee.

Just on Desperation Hills. There is no pano simply because I am not interested spending time trying to make one that suits. Existing ones I have were either too high, the wrong colour, wrong topography, wrong vegetation, too much vegetation or the wrong scale. The course is unlocked so you are able to open it in the APCD and add your own if you wish or if there is someone out there who is handy at making panos and is interested in making one that would suit the course, by all means go for it.

T
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

incredible...not sure the bench is scaled correctly....but incredible standard :clapping:
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Could be just the perspective in golfer cam. I will check it out.

T
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Yeah, the benches need to be scaled down a bit.

Super happy with the Pano.... ( I assume it's by Daniel Watson ). Not so much with the fairway texture, Ideally I would change it but there are sprinklers scattered about around the greens and it is too much stuffing around. I could go without the sprinklers but I kind of like them... :laugh: But I don't like the fairway texture...IDK :whistle:
BF10.jpg
BF10.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2711 times
BF11.jpg
BF11.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 2711 times
BF12.jpg
BF12.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 2711 times
BF13.jpg
BF13.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 2711 times
T
chewiec

Post by chewiec »

Looks fantastic!
badgolfer1

Post by badgolfer1 »

Looking at pictures shown would agree that fairway shown looks to be one color and without definition as if had mowing lines and would hope find suitable substitute. Playing your previous version found hole #6 with water hazard in fairway short of green gave various options---left, right, over it with more trouble just short of green where would wind up as just beyond reaching it by yardage for normal drive also added feature of going into wind against and to simply lay up short of hazard leaving short iron of around 100 yards to green safer than all the other options as best play regardless. Hole #11 had water hazard with surrounding trees out about 200 yards from tee that was easy to carry over it and really did not add to hole strategic or in terms of beauty imho. I played your course and fairways were not narrow in most all cases as Adelade might have surmised especially the straight holes. Doglegs added a test as would have to pull off just the right amount of curve with intent to have drive go out as far as possible. With pictures shown fringe is not so much a drastic darker green that saw for Desperation Hills that contrasted so much with fairways and greens there. With your choice to update Jeff Baker's version from links style course to being heath style course that added to its look that you say your work could have been better adding to a more scenic course as seems to be except for fairway issue yet to be resolved. Hopefully the revised course takes into account the fairway widths that I spoke of here having trees or traps pinch in at points to where player has to think just a little more before they hit drives on the straighter holes.