Planting mystery

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Colin Jones

Planting mystery

Post by Colin Jones »

I couldn't find an answer to this weird planting issue.

Some areas of my course seem not to accept any planting at all. You can plant (either singular objects or forrest planting) and all seems fine, but once you save the course and re-open, all the planting in those areas has disappeared. These seem to be in small, squarish, random plots of the course.

It doesn't seem to be the objects themselves, All of the "disappeared objects" appear fine in other areas of the course.

I see an old Adelade post where he says that planting problems can be caused if you didn't do a proper APCD install (which I didn't). So I reinstalled the APCD properly this time, copied over the planting set and then tried planting - but it seems to make no difference.

I can't recall hearing of this issue previously. I fear it is something very simple (and silly!) I am missing here.

If not, I will delete all the planting, re-install the APCD, re-build the planting set from scratch and then try again.

Hope someone has some ideas....................
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)
Danny D

Re: Planting mystery

Post by Danny D »

Colin Jones wrote: July 28th, 2023, 11:01 pm I couldn't find an answer to this weird planting issue.

Some areas of my course seem not to accept any planting at all. You can plant (either singular objects or forrest planting) and all seems fine, but once you save the course and re-open, all the planting in those areas has disappeared. These seem to be in small, squarish, random plots of the course.

It doesn't seem to be the objects themselves, All of the "disappeared objects" appear fine in other areas of the course.

I see an old Adelade post where he says that planting problems can be caused if you didn't do a proper APCD install (which I didn't). So I reinstalled the APCD properly this time, copied over the planting set and then tried planting - but it seems to make no difference.

I can't recall hearing of this issue previously. I fear it is something very simple (and silly!) I am missing here.

If not, I will delete all the planting, re-install the APCD, re-build the planting set from scratch and then try again.

Hope someone has some ideas....................
Are these objects from the 2001 planting set, or the 2003?

You say when you save and re-open the course they are gone. Have you tried to select any of them to make sure they are actually gone, and not invisible? :unsure:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Hi Danny

Following the "disappearance", nothing can be selected in those areas and nothing shows in game play either.
Now I think that I may have set it up just using copying and pasting the "APCD with 2001 Object Library"
jwgriffingca

Post by jwgriffingca »

Check out the README document in the zip file of Jon Weinrieb's Links at Ballylecum Castle. In the "Bugs" section of the README, he describes what sounds like an identical issue to yours. He was unable to find a root cause. I recall he suggested to designers to test plant the entire plot with a 2D object before beginning any real design work to check if there was some inherent glitch in a plot. Given the extremely low known occurrence rate of this issue - maybe just his and yours - it's a pretty low risk of encountering it, but it could be very high consequence if the issue is in a highly visible area of the course!

John
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

jwgriffingca wrote: July 29th, 2023, 1:54 am Check out the README document in the zip file of Jon Weinrieb's Links at Ballylecum Castle. In the "Bugs" section of the README, he describes what sounds like an identical issue to yours. He was unable to find a root cause. I recall he suggested to designers to test plant the entire plot with a 2D object before beginning any real design work to check if there was some inherent glitch in a plot. Given the extremely low known occurrence rate of this issue - maybe just his and yours - it's a pretty low risk of encountering it, but it could be very high consequence if the issue is in a highly visible area of the course!

John
Thanks John - Jon says he had a team of Mike Jones, Andrew Jones, Art Patscheck "and others" all trying to find out why sections of the plot couldn't hold 2D objects - and no-one could ever work out why. Rather ominous.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Colin Jones wrote: July 28th, 2023, 11:01 pmI see an old Adelade post where he says that planting problems can be caused if you didn't do a proper APCD install (which I didn't).
This is rather beside the point, but I am curious - do you have a link to this post by me you mention? Wasnt that was just speculation on my part? I havent used a properly installed APCD in ages myself.

Sounds like an obnoxious and unfortunate problem... I have no ideas... except maybe... have you tried running APCD both with and without admin? But I guess the team back then already must have already tried that... It solves a particular other planting issue anyways so might be worth a try.

By the way, the objects that disappear, do they disappear from the total count of the course's objects too?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Colin,
I have had that issue on several courses I did. Never could figure it out or do anything to make it go away. I ended up giving up on the courses and deleting everything associated with that database so I never used any of it again.

Sage...... :dunno:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Colin,
i have been fortunate that I have never encountered this problem. (Where is the "touch wood" emoji?)
These seem to be in small, squarish, random plots of the course.
Just for something to try, as they are small, is it possible to DELETE the terrain in those plots and reinsert the terrain with the CREATE function?

Just a thought.

IAn
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

That might work Ian........................You never know.

Sage........ :cheers1: :dunno:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

Ian Wells wrote: July 29th, 2023, 10:48 am Colin,
i have been fortunate that I have never encountered this problem. (Where is the "touch wood" emoji?)
These seem to be in small, squarish, random plots of the course.
Just for something to try, as they are small, is it possible to DELETE the terrain in those plots and reinsert the terrain with the CREATE function?

Just a thought.

IAn
Thanks alot Ian. Didn't work out I'm afraid, but appreciate the idea.
Anyone got any more? I fear that Royal Sydney GC is dead...