System Texture error

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
OllieW

System Texture error

Post by OllieW »

Hi all, I keep getting this error and a crash to desktop when I play on various newer courses - I say newer, it's doing the same on Bethpage HD!

ERROR : FAILED (0x80004005 - WINERR_Unspecified error ) - CreateSurface( 0x3470468:512x512 0888 SystemMemory Texture )

I'm wondering if it's a compatibility issue? I'm on a Surface Laptop Studio, using the DG thing to get my Geforce 3050 working. I'm at 1080p res, windowed as my screen is 3:2 ratio. The 3050 is set to 2048MB in DG but the actual card has 3GB VRAM - putting it up to 4096MB in the app makes Links not even start.

Any ideas or experiences would be really helpful!
Adelade

Re: System Texture error

Post by Adelade »

Someone might come along with better ideas, but my first thoughts/questions:

Do these crashes happen every time when the courses first load up (before you have a chance to play anything), or do they happen now and then during rounds?

Have you installed the 1.07 patch?

Have you installed the Nvidia patch?

Have you tried reinstalling Links?

Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers?
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
OllieW

Post by OllieW »

All patches installed and latest drivers. It'll usually happen when loading the next shot, no rhyme nor reason to it. Restarting the computer then reloading the previous game doesn't fix it so it's not actually running out of RAM or VRAM or anything. Reinstalling hasn't fixed either.

Thanks Adelade!
OllieW

Post by OllieW »

Think I managed to work it out by a total fluke as it's working now... leaving this up in case it helps in the future.

I accidentally typed "Gp" into my Start bar and it brought up Graphics settings. Looks like my computer had set Links to use Power Saving graphics - namely the Intel GPU instead of the Geforce 3050 - and clearly the Intel wasn't up to the task! I'm currently midway through a round of Bethpage HD and loving life again. The only downside is my computer is hotter than a hot thing on a hot day :laugh:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

OllieW wrote: July 19th, 2023, 5:45 pm Think I managed to work it out by a total fluke as it's working now... leaving this up in case it helps in the future.

I accidentally typed "Gp" into my Start bar and it brought up Graphics settings. Looks like my computer had set Links to use Power Saving graphics - namely the Intel GPU instead of the Geforce 3050 - and clearly the Intel wasn't up to the task! I'm currently midway through a round of Bethpage HD and loving life again. The only downside is my computer is hotter than a hot thing on a hot day :laugh:
If you happen to be using "Speccy" to get your CPU temperature, it shows highs for everyone - a glitch. Something like "Core Temp" is more accurate.

Pete
OllieW

Post by OllieW »

Oh I was just going off the feeling on the top case and on my legs - Surface Laptop Studios get hot!