Meanwhile, 10 years later.....

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Duck Hook

Re: Meanwhile, 10 years later.....

Post by Duck Hook »

Cheers guys... :thumbup:
ChuckH wrote: September 24th, 2023, 5:42 pm This course looks gorgeous. It could easily be Sand Hills or Dismal River courses in the sand hill region of Nebraska. All it needs is a windmill as a homage. Very much looking forward to playing it.
Chuck
Thanks Chuck,

Sand Hills is coming, in a little while... :smile: I had never heard of Dismal River until you mentioned it, but checking it out it is indeed very similar to Sand Hills and absolutely gorgeous. I love those scrubby, rough around the edges type of courses... I will add it to my list....LINKSTER !!! :laugh:

There is a stunningly beautiful course in Georgia similarly rough around the edges, albeit more heavily forested that is also on my list. It is not a tour course but I would consider it among my top 5 favourite American courses. A bit of an oddity and while quite a new course I am surprised I haven't seen it mentioned on this site. It will be extremely difficult to do well but the dem Linkster provided is an excellent starting point ( no names at this point )
hehehe.

Ian,

The course is titled Desperation Hills. For many years it was known as Desperation Creek, but I couldn't get the creek to work to my satisfaction so it was eventually removed, apart from a brief appearance around one green. Weeler suggested a few alternatives and Creek was replaced with Hills.

:cheers1:
T
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

In a way, I can see what you mean about not including a clubhouse on this course. It would most likely look a bit "out of place". But at the same time, after golfing a round on a hot , dry day it sure would be great to stop in for a couple of cold ones ! ( dang it....I'm mixing up reality and fantasy again !)

Very nice work.........Todd. Looking forward to playing it !! :cheers1:

Ron
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I have always been interested in fictional courses that are different in some way from the norm. This looks beautiful and clearly you have put a ton
of work into it. I haven't had a chance to play Links in months due to hardware issues and travel (10 out of the last 20 weeks on the road), but I will definitely add this to my "to play" list alongside the incredible real courses that have come out this summer.

braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Todd, the course looks great. I really like the worn looking areas on the tees. I can add divots to tee's but when it comes to making it look worn...well lets just say I can never get it right.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Those latest screens ....are amazing....top notch finesse texturing...imagine the job this guy would do with tara iti....top tier creation... :clapping:
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

I played in a 4-round event that Pete (pm) set up in his league. Very nice layout! The lack of visual distraction adds to its appeal imo.

Thank you for your efforts!

Dave (GoBucks)
No matter where you go, there you are.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Thanks Dave

T
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Played Desperation Hills just now, it is a very neat and clean APCD creation indeed, and very enjoyable scenery. I felt like the course didnt have a lot of defenses to protect its par (especially on the first 9) except for a few longer par 4 holes, but I still didnt score particularly low - mostly because I couldnt really sink any putts. I feel like I will probably enjoy the course even more next time when I can choose some tougher conditions and pins, I think especially greens being firm is suitable for this course. Im not sure what animal makes that one kinda crazy sound, but almost sounds like a monkey?? (not a lot of trees around), I guess maybe it could be some type of bird too. To be clear - the sound didnt bother me at all, it just made me curious. I saw a few kangaroos or wallabys or whatever they are called at one place, so I'm guessing it must be meant as an Australian course. By the way I liked the hole names :thumbup:

Thank you for this enjoyable course.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Thanks Adelade. Monkey's ??? :smile: That is a crow mate, as well as some magpies and a kookaburra..Yes, definitely Australian.
I like the hole names too :thumbup: :laugh:

T
jwgriffingca

Post by jwgriffingca »

Finally got a chance to play this. This is such an excellent course, Todd! Love the desolate look, the planting is so well done to accentuate the shapes and ridges of the dunes in the distance, and of course the textures are great too (especially the bunker sand). Completely immersive in the sense of place. Really enjoyed the round and character of the holes and shots - very much a fun round. Thanks for all your work on this - glad you persevered to get it finished! :thumbup:

John