How to identify trees

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ironman

How to identify trees

Post by Ironman »

When I plant trees, I get confused as to what type it is due to the small thumbnails. As an example, I planted several trees only to find they had Spanish moss, which doesn't exist at the real course I was working on. Is there some kind of list that describes each object?
Adelade

Re: How to identify trees

Post by Adelade »

I dont know about descriptions - not that I know of - but these methods for viewing larger images of the objects might help:

1) JPG files of the default objects, so you can view them outside of APCD and maybe make a list for yourself. I dont know whether it is with a librarymerged APCD or one without the 2001 objects, the object numbers may differ in some cases if you have the other type: https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=77

2) You could try doubleclicking each object within APCD, from either the object list left panel or from the object library window, to see larger images of them.

3) You could plant the first object within a category, size it up to fill the screen, view it in perspective mode, select it and click on next object in the list (or use the down arrow) to toggle through all the objects within the category. Set "High" for Object Resolution in the left panel to view them at maximum quality that APCD can show (increases the risk of APCD crashing, but if that one is the only object within view, or if you keep the perspective view still, it should be fine). After cycling through objects in this fashion, this particular planted object will probably have the disastrous steel bounce properties, so it is safest to delete it and replant it, or maybe it is enough to click to update selected objects after cycling through, I forgot - see Lez' video on 2D object planting or editing/manipulation for confirmation.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
EJ55

Re: How to identify trees

Post by EJ55 »

Hi Ironman, Adelade gave you a great answer but will add incase you or anyone else could use it.

I like to create a unique planting set for any course I'm working on and will add any 2d that I'd think I could use as you are able to clear clutter and locate objects faster.

There are some in the 2d objects that don't look good in certain instances but may look better when you see them in game, combined with other objects and vice versa. As you work and play the course you'll delete objects that don't fit.

Hope it helps!