Seminole Golf Club

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
EJ55

Seminole Golf Club

Post by EJ55 »

Hi friends,

I'm surprised I'm back in the game but here I am. I thought I'd be moving on when I got another PC that was strong enough to play the new golf games in all their glory. I went, I saw, I'm not impressed, different stokes for different folks I guess. It's great to see some old faces and new. Thanks to Daniel/Linkster for providing me with a wonderful Lidar version of both Seminole Golf Club and the pesky for me (Pinehurst #8). The Pinehurst 8 file I have just wasn't good enough considering the latest elevation data. Daniel has done a great job to breathe life back into the game, IMO.

I've been at work on Seminole a little less than a month and feel well enough to share some progress and of course announce it at the same time.
Currently on the fourth hole but working on seam blending 3

I was wondering how I wanted to tackle the build, I usually go shapes/textures, and 3D co-current but was thinking I'd do each hole and plant as I go. I really want to do the waste areas as good as I can because that's the key to the look of the entire course, IMO. I have a number of waste sand textures I've been playing with. I figure I'll focus on the waste areas once the trees are in. I wanted some additional and better palm trees and have upwards of 40 to 50 that need cutting. Three I have cut out this morning, It's a lot easier for me to do this than in the past.

I am able to play a number of holes, and I figured I'd share a few pics of one although the textures aren't final they're in the ballpark. I was thinking the rough needs a little red taken out.

Apologies if the pics are too large.

braden1308

Re: Seminole Golf Club

Post by braden1308 »

Looking good Eddie,. The past two Saturdays my power has gone out due to high winds… ugh…. since I work a lot I try and use my weekends to make up time on the APCD. I have two files I am working on that are on time restrictions, hope that didn’t give anything away.

I wish I had more patience to make objects, but that's not in my DNA :nono:

Love your work, :clapping:
Glenn
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Thanks Glenn, I do hope you're progressing well with your projects. People that know me personally say I'm too patient,

Some thoughts.....

I do have close to a one month update and stated goals for the next month. I have 6 holes in and 5 seam blended minus the waste sand as previously stated. I do feel as I watch videos of the course I'll get a better feel for the waste areas as I continue to work on those textures. That hole next to one is number 10 and is not seam blended yet. I cut out some additional trees and if any Florida residents have any personal tree pictures I'll be glad to cut it out and add to the course, I have plenty but if any high quality are available I'll take the time to do it. :yes: Thanks!

A pet peeve of mine is loading up a course I'm working on and no logo screen so i took the time to do that. I forgot how to text on a curve in my photo-program and it's almost embarrassing to say how much time I spent on it. I could have easily seam blended 10.

I have so many nice pictures of the course it should make a nice splash screen when the time comes, I have an idea what I'd like to do. Perhaps I'll make two.

I do have a tip for anyone beginning APCD. Don't be afraid to use textures that aren't 1024 x 1024 (of course it helps to have the playable surfaces 1024) if the situation doesn't need it as it will keep your files sizes smaller, for instance 512 x 512, 256 x 256 or even smaller for a paint type texture you're putting on a 3D object.

Here's my latest.

I'm thinking over the next month I'll continue to cut out trees, finish my seven 3-D bridges and start inserting and mapping them as I progress. I believe holes 6 through 10 will be in and mapped (hopefully get to 11), break ground on the clubhouse area as I've already thought on it and plan a very nice rendition of the clubhouse if all goes well. I've already formulated plans on how to tackle it using ideas I've learned from past 3D work.

I am also taking a ride for personal business and plan on getting some flat tree lines panoramic views on Maryland's Eastern Shore in an attempt to start a panorama. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, thanks as always and I wish you and yours a blessed Easter Sunday!
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I know how much time can be devoured when making and editing 2D objects, but it feels pretty rewarding when its done. LeWAW made and kindly shared some palm trees a while back - they might be worth checking out in case you havent seen them already - https://linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3820#p3820

Love seeing the updates :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
72Animal

Post by 72Animal »

Looks fantastic! I couldn't agree more with 'tried newer golf games' but came back to this classic. Looking forward to Seminole and Pinehurst 8, Eddie! Thanks for all your hard work adding courses to Links!
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Adelade, I forgot about those trees, I'll have a look , Thanks! :thumbup:
linkster

Post by linkster »

Seminole is looking great Eddie! I compared one of your in game screenshots to the Golf Digest flyover video and the terrain looks spot on! It is wonderful to have one of the premiere designers come back to this great game!

Any words of advice on what it is like working with a 2m grid DEM import? It is not a fast process altering the mesh for the seam blends but the results produce very accurate elevations. Looks like you have avoided edge defects around the bunker edges so far. I had really bad edge defects with Augusta but was able to remedy the issue by pulling the verts apart to a 1ft thick edge and making the bunker edge less vertical.

:cheers1:
EJ55

Post by EJ55 »

linkster wrote: April 10th, 2023, 2:05 am Seminole is looking great Eddie! I compared one of your in game screenshots to the Golf Digest flyover video and the terrain looks spot on! It is wonderful to have one of the premiere designers come back to this great game!

Any words of advice on what it is like working with a 2m grid DEM import? It is not a fast process altering the mesh for the seam blends but the results produce very accurate elevations. Looks like you have avoided edge defects around the bunker edges so far. I had really bad edge defects with Augusta but was able to remedy the issue by pulling the verts apart to a 1ft thick edge and making the bunker edge less vertical.

:cheers1:
Thanks for the kind words Daniel!

I've been watching the video flyovers and am pleased to note , I paint , add verts extrude and that's the end result. It's been fun and easy. It's a pleasure to be back with you all.

I figured with dense mesh I'd see some scalping in the bunkers after extrusion. I haven't seen much if any as of yet (crossing fingers) but figured that's a small price to pay for this detailed level of accuracy, these LIDAR files are really pushing APCD to it's limits. I believe the original file had slightly over 240,000 verts plus I'm trying to stay around that number by deleting verts a few rows in off the edge of the plot but well off the edge of the course leaving the file at around 235,000 ish as I currently add verts to hole 6. I also have been deleting verts inside lakes. . I figured it was worth the trouble to limit marks on a course like scalping that you see in a bunker. I've seen scalping marks in a bunker when the mesh isn't dense and wonder if it comes from extruding and scaling or if both dense mesh and extruding and scaling play a part? Of this I'm not certain. I've seen this in APCD 1 without dense mesh as well.

I've been adding verts and turning edges probably 95 % without the terrain painter tool in an effort to stay as faithful to the elevations in the original file as I can. Even turning edges around bunkers I watch in perspective mode to see what the terrain is doing, if something looks funky I go back and add more verts.

The only advice I have is if you're not using a element in your active cam turn it off, for instance in top view I use hull, surface and textures in display and turn on and off shapes and verts as needed. In perspective mode I usually am on just surface and textures and will turn on and off Hull and shapes (very seldom) as needed. Most importantly use 'box select' an' 'render selection' so you only highlite what you need.

A big mistake for anyone whatever the course file is to pan around with crowds and or 2d in perspective mode, it will cause the program to crash.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable week. Happy designing all! :smile:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Eddie, your advice is so spot on. When Daniel came out with these files I pulled out an old XP computer I had. Reinstalled the APCD and am working with the computer offline so I can can use all the resources towards the design. I use a usb stick to transfer files I need from my laptop. I have the computer connected to a 27 inch monitor and so far so good.

Glenn
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Eddie, I have 23 palm tree cut outs I did many moons ago, if anyone of them is usfull to you you can download them here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Dnfph ... sp=sharing