Scoring how?????

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
AGLZZ

Re: Scoring how?????

Post by AGLZZ »

My Question is why these so called ringers never play the challenging Tournaments. I get bored played tournaments with unrealistic scoring
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I wouldn't call them ringers exactly - they play against other members in their group. And it's kind of them to do that, because they could seriously spoil other players enjoyment of the game if they shot those scores in regular tournaments.

And challenging conditions are more difficult than the original conditions, and they don't appear interested in making anything more difficult. Seems like harmless fun to me! On the opposite side of "easy" are the players who like playing Links without using the grids on the greens. I've tried it and I don't like it, but if they find enjoyment with it, who cares! Right? :yes:

Pete
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

The grid lines are sometimes difficult to see, especially for the aging eyes. Using the BLI solves that problem. It only took about a month to switch over and shoot the same or better scores.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Kunkleman wrote: February 25th, 2023, 12:46 pm The grid lines are sometimes difficult to see, especially for the aging eyes. Using the BLI solves that problem. It only took about a month to switch over and shoot the same or better scores.
The biggest problem with not being able to see the grid lines is the greens texture color. Some of them have too much yellow in them which tends to match the grid color and make them look faded out. :sad:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
dko

Post by dko »

Mr T, I enjoy your posts because they are well thought out, thorough and entertaining. And I don't mean to be insulting, but it appears that you might get bored too easily.

At 73 years old, I have played Links since the 90s. There have been a few breaks for whatever reason, but I've always come back to it. What has really drawn me to continue playing is the unbelievable job the designers have done in replicating real courses which are the only ones I play. Even many of the older courses have largely stood the test of time, as I have checked the yardages against actual tournaments in recent years (2016 to present)
Doug
dko

Post by dko »

Sorry, I hit return too soon and decided to abandon the post since it was going to be too long and boring.
Doug
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Ive also never understood how people can enjoy shooting -18 or something round after round, thats so different from what golf is really like. To each their own for sure, but I think a lot of people are missing out on the joys of more realistic golf. Humans are often bad at knowing what they want, they think they want to succeed and win everything all the time, but when they do, they often get bored quickly. I know there are plenty people who have been shooting those low scores and also have played for a really long time, but I still believe they've fallen into comfort and routine rather than the excitement which is and always will be there to experience in the game of golf - even computer golf.

I mostly play Career Mode, where I've set it up so that the AI scores similar to the scores on the PGA tour, and I myself average -2 per round (lately). I placed overall 6th and 8th in my last finished seasons, only won one tournament in both those seasons, and the current season Im in Im only ranked 12th. I really like that type of challenge, where a win actually feels special. Sometimes I notice my average scores start to get better, the more I play, but then I invent more challenges for myself to keep my scores from getting too low, one example is how I recently banned myself from using flop shots with the Lob Wedge.

Now, I should admit that I havent actually played much for the past few months, but I often have those sort of breaks and I keep coming back to it, I know I will this time too. I dont know whether I will keep playing Links for 20+ years, but I hope I will now and then. I enjoy playing with AI competition, but for a long time Ive had plans to make a sort of tour for Linksters who score realistically, completely regardless of what settings they play on, where the goal will be that everyone can win if they're having a good day/week, without the use of scoring handicap in order to simulate a real pro scratch tour. Im still intending to start it up one day, at least to see if I can get enough people to join for it to take off.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Rather than call them "ringers" can't we simply give them their own category and tournaments?
I know that the question will be how to restrict them from entering regular tournaments without violating civil rights :whistle: but I just make suggestions-actually implementing them isn't my job! :tongue:
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

Jimbo wrote: February 27th, 2023, 6:00 am Rather than call them "ringers" can't we simply give them their own category and tournaments?
I know that the question will be how to restrict them from entering regular tournaments without violating civil rights :whistle: but I just make suggestions-actually implementing them isn't my job! :tongue:

Come on! We should be in the business of uniting, not dividing. These linksters have kept this game alive for decades. Where's the problem anyway? One or two people don't like not winning? :rant:
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Kunkleman wrote: February 27th, 2023, 11:26 am
Jimbo wrote: February 27th, 2023, 6:00 am Rather than call them "ringers" can't we simply give them their own category and tournaments?

Come on! We should be in the business of uniting, not dividing. These linksters have kept this game alive for decades. Where's the problem anyway? One or two people don't like not winning? :rant:
100% agree, Kunkleman! This subject comes up every time someone new joins, and I'm all for new members, There are 2 solutions as I see it, and I'm sure joining a league has been mentioned. The second is to play 12 rounds (3 events) on the Main tour to establish a handicap, and then play only handicap events. There is no fair, feasible way to keep the members who built and have maintained this game from playing on the Main tour.
No matter where you go, there you are.