Cottonwood Hills, Hutchinson, KS

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
GoesForIt

Cottonwood Hills, Hutchinson, KS

Post by GoesForIt »

I'm developing a REAL APCD course that likely will not exist when complete.

Believe it or not for a 40,000 population town like Hutchinson, KS, it's a Nick Faldo design. Construction started in 2006 and it was playable in 2008. It was supposed to be a combination of golf course and housing complex... except the housing part never developed and all funding ran out causing the course to lie fallow by 2012. Additional funding was acquired and by 2015, it was a great course, albeit with a double-wide trailer as a clubhouse. Now, the owners are looking to sell the course for $2.45 million and I don't believe it's open for play. You can see from the last photo (6/2019) that even though it looks like a course, it's deteriorating (pond scum, unkept bunkers, etc.).

So, by the time I finish I may have developed my first FICTIONAL course.

CottonWoodHillsEvolution.jpg
CottonWoodHillsEvolution.jpg (181.05 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
Adelade

Re: Cottonwood Hills, Hutchinson, KS

Post by Adelade »

That is sad, what a gigantic and irresponsible waste of resources by them if not seeing it through properly.

Looking forward to the APCD creation :thumbup:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

The problem with this course was, IMO, it was designed for scratch golfers, over an hours drive from Wichita (pop. 300k+), and in competition with courses closer to Wichita that are very nice courses and playable for all levels of skill. I played the course twice and liked it quite a bit. But I find Sand Creek Station in Newton, Kansas just as challenging, easier to get to, and enjoyable for most all levels. They just recently hosted a Korn Ferry tour event.
The course seems to have been developed with ease of access in mind as far as travel. It is very affordable, and the practice range is included in the fees.
It seems as though the developers of Cottonwood Hills over-estimated the drawing power of the course designer. Once the novelty of playing a Nick Faldo design wore off, played rounds fell off drastically. It's a nice piece of property that has nothing convenient such as hotels and restaurants to draw players.

Just my take.
No matter where you go, there you are.
woody4077

Post by woody4077 »

GoBucks wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 3:52 pm The problem with this course was, IMO, it was designed for scratch golfers, over an hours drive from Wichita (pop. 300k+), and in competition with courses closer to Wichita that are very nice courses and playable for all levels of skill. I played the course twice and liked it quite a bit. But I find Sand Creek Station in Newton, Kansas just as challenging, easier to get to, and enjoyable for most all levels. They just recently hosted a Korn Ferry tour event.
The course seems to have been developed with ease of access in mind as far as travel. It is very affordable, and the practice range is included in the fees.
It seems as though the developers of Cottonwood Hills over-estimated the drawing power of the course designer. Once the novelty of playing a Nick Faldo design wore off, played rounds fell off drastically. It's a nice piece of property that has nothing convenient such as hotels and restaurants to draw players.

Just my take.
the only thing you forgot to mention is that we already have (in the opinion of many) a far superior course in links, which is also located in hutchinson ks, prairie dunes ....and yes i'm aware of the fact that its "private"
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

It's nice of you to preserve the memory of a golf course! I've seen too many of them disappear!

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

GoesForIt wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 2:23 pm I'm developing a REAL APCD course that likely will not exist when complete.

I thought you'd given up on it. Hadn't seen any mention for quite some time.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

Sand Hills Station, know the designer well, lives here in DFW, and was hired to shoot the course when it opened, great place, what a great week.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

dorse72 wrote: October 6th, 2020, 6:46 pm Sand Hills Station, know the designer well, lives here in DFW, and was hired to shoot the course when it opened, great place, what a great week.
Are we talking the same course. I was referencing Sand Creek Station in Newton, Kansas. Where might Sand Hills Station be?
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

yep, same course, forgot the name, sorry