Course Verification Strategy...

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
wojo

Course Verification Strategy...

Post by wojo »

I verified my Salishan GC for the first time... I got 7 playable holes. I'm currently going through each hole, flattening the greens and tees, and then doing some terrain work around those... tilting greens slightly. When I save the whole course, the "repaired hole" still isn't playable... so I'm guessing there might be a problem with the fairway slope? What is the maximum slope it allows? (I've played a lot of hill courses where your ball just keeps rolling downhill when the course dries out.)

I need an opinion on the best strategy to go through the course to repair and test the 11 holes that aren't playable yet. I seem to remember Lez saving one hole at a time? Is that possible?

Wojo
AJ Allen

Re: Course Verification Strategy...

Post by AJ Allen »

There is a check list to look at which tells you what needs to be done. But usually, it comes down to 2 simple things... pins and tees. You could actually just define a hole, turn one triangle of mesh to green texture, and another to tee texture, and plant a tee and pin. That's it, validate the course and that hole would be playable, no fairway, no bunkers or terrain work. As long as the green and tee textures were in the correct places and the tee and pin were planted, the hole is playable in links. So, check that every hole has at least one pin and one tee planted correctly, and revalidate.

Cheers, AJ
wojo

Post by wojo »

Thanks for the clue. I went through deleting all the hole layouts, tees, and pins. Then I marched through all the holes repeating the work. The course validated. I was able to load it up in Practice Mode in Links 2003. All the buttons were blue, so I checked them all. When I try to Start Play, I briefly get a Windows frame for a second and then Links crashes. The next time I try to reopen Links I get the dialog box where I click Restart Links to get back in. I am able to play other courses.
Attachments
Salishan Crashing.jpg
Salishan Crashing.jpg (279.73 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
Salishan Validated.jpg
Salishan Validated.jpg (161.42 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
Links Restart.jpg
Links Restart.jpg (48.35 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Did you read this post Dan wrote to you in one of your other threads? https://www.linkscorner.org/phpBB/viewt ... 6273#p6273

You could have found the answer to your original question here as well by reading things people wrote to you before. Glad that you're taking on APCD, but you could probably save yourself time and headache by actually listening to the people trying to help you :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
wojo

Post by wojo »

As a matter of fact, I did. There's nothing in that post about verifying courses or crashes. Nice try!
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im glad you think it was a nice try.

I sincerely hope you manage to get it sorted, and as for me I will be ready to at the very least make one final try if you provide more information, for example about the things you've tried so far from the replies you received.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
wojo

Post by wojo »

I don't know... It seems I've come pretty far with a brand new program for a 69 year old in a week. I only ask questions when I can't find the answers in the tutorials, or if I try to fix something per suggestions and it doesn't work.

Back to my crashing problem... I seem to remember seeing something (maybe in one of Lez's videos?) about not having terrain below elevation zero. I just noticed my DEM file actually has a little ocean floor in there at minus 3 feet. Do you think that's what is causing the crashing? The screen shot I sent indicates that it craps out at 20 percent loading... perhaps when it encounters negative math?

If I'm correct about there being something in a video somewhere about raising the DEM up so it's all above zero elevation, can you point me to it? I can't find it.

Yhanks.
Wojo
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

wojo wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:44 pm I don't know... It seems I've come pretty far with a brand new program for a 69 year old in a week. I only ask questions when I can't find the answers in the tutorials, or if I try to fix something per suggestions and it doesn't work.

Back to my crashing problem... I seem to remember seeing something (maybe in one of Lez's videos?) about not having terrain below elevation zero. I just noticed my DEM file actually has a little ocean floor in there at minus 3 feet. Do you think that's what is causing the crashing? The screen shot I sent indicates that it craps out at 20 percent loading... perhaps when it encounters negative math?

If I'm correct about there being something in a video somewhere about raising the DEM up so it's all above zero elevation, can you point me to it? I can't find it.

Yhanks.
Wojo
It should be simple to test your theory about it being set at a low elevation. Make a copy of the CRZ to test, select VERTS, press CTRL+A to select the entire plot, and then raise the whole plot about 100 feet, do a V&S and then try it in Links. It won't hurt anything to try it.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added