What is a "Flat Object"?

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Danny D

What is a "Flat Object"?

Post by Danny D »

Hi guys...

In the "Collisions" section on this menu there is a checkbox for "Flat Object". I've often wondered what this means. Can someone tell me what a "FLAT" 2D object might be,and why this selection would be used?

TIA,

Dan
flat.jpg
flat.jpg (112.89 KiB) Viewed 2407 times
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
MrMoggie

Re: What is a "Flat Object"?

Post by MrMoggie »

Danny - it would be something like a sign or sponsor hoarding

Steve
LeWAW

Post by LeWAW »

Hi, it's an objet that in which way you look at it keeps his orientation.
Hope you understand what I mean...
CIAO, LeWAW :cheers1:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I believe the difference between an object that has that box ticked and one that doesnt, is that the flat object will always make the ball bounce straight backwards (or at least bounce as if it was a flat object that faces the camera), whereas a normal object's solid contact makes the ball bounce in a somewhat random direction.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking about it differently. That's why I was a little confused. I understand that all 2D objects will always face you no matter where you are standing, and my thought was that if it were FLAT, that it would be laying flat on the surface and facing upward. I always thought of objects as standing upright, like trees, posts, ballwashers, flowers, weeds, trash cans etc etc...

If I understand you guys a flat object would be any object that has a flat side that is facing you, like a sign or a wall, so if you hit it with a ball it would, like Adelade said, bounce straight back. rather than ricochet off to the sides as if you had hit a round trash can or a tree.

Thanks guys. Makes a little more sense now. :tiphat:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added