Going crazy

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
braden1308

Going crazy

Post by braden1308 »

I am having major APCD issues. I have never had as many crashes as I have over the last month or so. While working on a course file, the APCD will just freeze and then crash. I can't even work for 5-10 minutes without having to try and save, only to lose it the next go round. This is driving me crazy. Everything was working fine then one day....poof. Anyone else having similar problems?

Glenn
Ian Wells

Re: Going crazy

Post by Ian Wells »

Glenn,

It is one of the most frustrating occurrences of APCD that after having a productive hour or so APCD just crashes. (I'm afraid I am guilty of not doing my backups when I am doing well, then after a crash I start backing up every 30 minutes. Horse and bolted spring to mind.)

I have been having similar problems with crashes over the last week but as I have started to plant, I have assumed it was that.
Other than that the only problem I have is saving, which now takes ±6 minutes, which I put down to a 505000 vert count. The 6 minutes also puts me off making the saves I should be making.

Whenever I have crashes I immediately delete the user.lib, even though I have no knowledge that this is the problem.(However, it does make me feel better. :smile: )

Good luck with finding the reason.

Ian
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Do you suspect it might be due to a computer issue or something? Never heard of or experienced that specifically with APCD personally but who knows. If you dont think it is related to any particular APCD activity which is known to sometimes have crashes, it could also be course related I guess? Possibly something you added to the course around the time the problems started didnt sit well with the program in some way. With some luck, using Render > Hole or Render > Selection (use "Box Zoom All" to define area) while working on the course might help get through it easier. And/or having fewer things actively showing in the different views.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

It started with the file I have been trying to work on currently, nothing in particular causes the crash. The crashes are not like anything I've dealt with before, the program freezes, the screen gets light, then it closes and I lose the file. Sometimes I will start a save after only a few minutes work and while it's saving the APCD crash log error comes up.

I am going to try a reinstall today and start working with a new file to see if this could be related to the file I have been trying to work on the past few months. If the same thing happens I will know it's probably computer related, an update perhaps? I don't know....yet!

Glenn
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Well, I re-installed, tried a different file and same thing. APCD very slow, crashes without any type of warning after only making a couple of adjustments, five minutes worth of work at the most.

I have tried on my other computer and and am having the same problem :dunno:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Sounds to me it might be the course data.................have you tried other course data to see if it happens with them?
Have you got a new set of data yet?

Sage....... :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
linkster

Post by linkster »

Your issues ***might*** be a user account issue in Windows. I remember with Windows 10 the default or first user account was 'admin' level access. It was a while ago but I remember having some issues with some old programs even with the admin level. I made a new user account at the 'administrator' level of access and this has full control of the computer files which old programs expect to have. I have no idea how Windows 11 is set up but this may be an idea to investigate.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

I had a window pop up that said there was a "D3D error", could be a number of things that caused it. I ran a command line sfc /scannow and after the scan it found and repaired a system error. I went back and tried running the APCD and so far it is working.

It looks there could be a number of reasons for the D3D error and I can't put my finger on what caused mine but now if it starts to happen again I know what to look for first.

:fcrossed:

Never mind, something else going on. Graphics maybe?
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Perhaps something as simple as overheating? Dust bunnies impeding air flow possibly.
No matter where you go, there you are.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

GoBucks wrote: April 20th, 2024, 6:52 pm Perhaps something as simple as overheating? Dust bunnies impeding air flow possibly.
I wish it was that simple, brand new laptop.

It may have been the firmware update about a month ago, I can't remember the exact timeline to see if the problem started when I did the update