Disaster

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
derricksummers

Disaster

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: Hi all. When things go wrong for me they cock up big time. :mad: :helpsmilie:
I did some work on the course I am working on, I had got as far as planting hole two, due to the problems with my hands and fingers I have to pack in after about 20 minutes until things get back to normal. Before I finished I imported some of the trees from the download site into my planting set and then did a V and Save. ( No problems ) I then used my ClickFree Backup drive to save all the files on my computer ( No problems ) and did a clear out of all the old CRZ files that had built up, just keeping the one I was working on.
Later I copied my course into Links to see how my work had turned out. after about 10 seconds links came up with the message could not load course etc.
I tried a few times with the same result so I opened up APCD to see if I could see any problems and up came the dreaded words ( Not a CRZ fIle ) when I looked at the Lib file half of it was missing and the APCD would not load in
I tried the restore to an earlier date with no luck so I gave up and dicided to remove the APCD, for some unknown reason it only removed half of the file and from then on nothing worked so I put the disc in and used the uninstall that was on it. This worked and cleared everything out so I did a new install and I now have a working APCD with nothing in it. The next step was to use the back up disk to try and reload the missing files and I was amazed to find that the stupid drive had not backed up any CRZ fIles including the course files in Links. In fact nothing had been saved regarding the Golf files ( Why ? )
I am now left with nothing, no planting set or course CRZ files so its a clean start all over again.
I have no idea what corrupted the file as everything seemed O.K when I did a V & S :wallbash: :sad:
Derrick
sagevanni

Re: Disaster

Post by sagevanni »

I feel your pain.....................

I ritually back up my stuff in multiple locations.....................

Sage...... :fear:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

Just an update after the disaster of losing evrything, I have now got the new course all mapped out ready for some verts and textures. With a possible way of where the paths might go. Once this is done I will delete all the shapes as they have no further use.I asked previously why the ( Insert Shapes ) was ever included, it just makes a mess by adding hundreds of extra adjustment points when you insert and as far as I can see as no practical use at all. Maybe someone can answer this question.
Derrick
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: Forgot the pic
Layout.png
Layout.png (349.43 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

I'm only guessing, but perhaps the developers wanted to give beginners a quick and easy way to get started. That would encourage people to stick at designing, rather than getting overwhelmed at the beginning.

It is not an easy thing to learn, IMO, and even though inserting shapes does create a messy mesh, at least somebody could use that to knock out a course quickly. That means they might well continue using the software. Anyone that keeps going with it, will almost certainly advance beyond inserting shapes, so I think that feature has it's place.

Cheers, AJ :cheers1:
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:dunno: The point I was trying to make was that inserting a shape does not help in any way other than give you an idea of were to build. You still have to add verts and textures to get things going. If you insert the shape even though you hide it its still there and giving the APCD extra work when rendering. When you add a lot of verts it increases the size of the course by a small amount so adding shapes will do the same, and serve no purpose. In the pic I have posted when I have added verts and textures to create the course the shapes will be deleted. Inserting is as bad as spending many hours making a 3D object and then placing it in a position were it will never be seen. I also have a question for Danny, After watching the video I would like to ask what is the purpose of giving a name to the different planner paths, to me it just seems to make things more complicated. ?? something I try to avoid doing.
Derrick
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

derricksummers wrote: June 15th, 2020, 10:57 pm I also have a question for Danny, After watching the video I would like to ask what is the purpose of giving a name to the different planner paths, to me it just seems to make things more complicated. ?? something I try to avoid doing.
Derrick
Hi Derrick. I admit that my method of assigning names is totally unnecessary. It's just my own personal way of keeping track of planars, paths & multiples at a quick glance. Not all of us prefer keeping things "simple". That's the great thing about the APCD. We can all get the job done using our own personal methods. :smile:

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
derricksummers

Post by derricksummers »

:thumbup: :notworthy: Thanks AJ and Danny for your replies, like you say everyone as thier own way of doing things and if it works why not.
In the past few weeks the APCD as been a great help in taking my mind off things, Last month I got the dreaded phone call that my wife had passed away with Covid 19. The strange thing is that although she tested positive she never had any symptoms or needed oxygen, she just passed away in her sleep
R.I.P :sad:
Derrick
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

derricksummers wrote: June 16th, 2020, 8:52 am :thumbup: :notworthy: Thanks AJ and Danny for your replies, like you say everyone as thier own way of doing things and if it works why not.
In the past few weeks the APCD as been a great help in taking my mind off things, Last month I got the dreaded phone call that my wife had passed away with Covid 19. The strange thing is that although she tested positive she never had any symptoms or needed oxygen, she just passed away in her sleep
R.I.P :sad:
Derrick
Sounds to me like she might have been asymptomatic and perhaps the ones doing the diagnosis are trying to add to the covid death totals. So sorry for your loss my friend. :sad:

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I've tried naming and not naming planars. Naming them seems to work for me. Whatever works for you, I guess.

Sorry for your loss, Derrick.

PEte