Bakers Flat revisited....

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Duck Hook

Re: Bakers Flat revisited....

Post by Duck Hook »

Hi Gene

Thanks for the input. I agree, the fairway texture is a problem. I am leaning towards replacing it, if I can locate my old Bakers Flat TGA files on the weekend I will see if I can come with an alternative.
Hole 6 I also agree on. I will try alternative tees or locations to make the green more readily driveable to create more options off the tee.
Not sure what you mean about hole 11, the option of carrying the hazard is possible on some of the forward tees but definitely not off the back tee.
I suppose it's about the length of the approach and the risks involved the shorter the approach length becomes.
The picture shows you can lay up well short of the water on the right side but face a long iron in or you can try and carry the bunker on the left for a shorter approach with the fairway narrowing and the water encroaching the further you go. The prevailing wind is into your face so that water is definitely not carriable off the back tee.
When I made over the course I tried to stay as true to the original layout as possible, but some alterations may be possible.
Once again thanks for providing input, didn't hear boo when I released back in '17 so any suggestions/opinions are welcome

:cheers1:
T
BFH11.jpg
BFH11.jpg (123.19 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
badgolfer1

Post by badgolfer1 »

Todd, Sorry for confusion as must have been looking at original course #1896 by Jeff Kramer where you totally corrected what was a bad hole design on his #11 hole there. By readme says---Hole #11 A par 4 measuring 377 yards with a small pond splitting the fairway. To be exact the course where saw bad hole was named Baker's Flat and same hole shown by you here is on course named Bakers Flat. I seldom make mistakes and always proceed thinking I am right not to be led around all the time being told what to do, but when shown that I have made a mistake the only way to proceed is to agree with my being in the wrong---otherwise not doing so would make for my being more crazy than am already so. Given that went off track in my analysis will pull course up done by you, Bakers Flat to practice it again and see if wrote other issues pertinent to course done by Jeff Kramer and not yourself.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

No worries Gene, it's all good.

Though I think you were correct with the first 2 points.

Anyway, check it out and let me know any thoughts/suggestions

T
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

chewiec wrote: October 19th, 2023, 1:51 pm Looks fantastic!
Thanks mate

T
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Ended up mashing up a new fairway texture. Fairly happy so far.
NIce in small areas, lots of tiling in larger areas. Either needs a mid texture or just imagine they are fading mow lines.. :smile: :smile:
BFnewF.jpg
BFnewF.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 2271 times
BFnewf1.jpg
BFnewf1.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 2271 times
badgolfer1

Post by badgolfer1 »

Todd, Looking at Bakers Flat and Desperation Hills I see that you show tees as being scruffy or with divots where only a couple are pristine. I have seen recently one poster with a fixation about tees on real courses according to him without his giving specificities other than saying that they are too flat and designers were using elevation technology to be accurate as are IRL. If those course designers had added scruffy areas or divots on their tee areas then perhaps doing this may have made the tee areas look more real and avoided undue criticism as having all pristine tees is too stark a look---IMHO. In real life tee areas especially on par 3's would expect to find divots. Some country clubs have buckets of topsoil, seed and fertilizer mixed for players to immediately fill in their divots on par 3 holes where most courses remember also have a sign on par 3 tees saying---"Golfers please replace your divots". For par 4's and 5's where use driver would think for those holes that players shifting feet through swing would cause scruffy area. But duffers are allowed to play and can find just as many divots on par 4's and 5's tees.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

I like to have a mix of tees, worn/good condition as tee positions are moved about. Some have been in position for a while, where others have only recently been moved to a fresh spot on the tee.
badgolfer1

Post by badgolfer1 »

Duck Hook wrote: October 20th, 2023, 11:33 pm I like to have a mix of tees, worn/good condition as tee positions are moved about. Some have been in position for a while, where others have only recently been moved to a fresh spot on the tee.
Your work on tee textures being scruffy or worn has been pointed out by Glenn Braden when he made remark about Desperation Hills.
Re: Meanwhile, 10 years later.....
Post by braden1308 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:59 pm
Todd, the course looks great. I really like the worn looking areas on the tees. I can add divots to tee's but when it comes to making it look worn...well lets just say I can never get it right.

A long long time ago had job working in greens maintenance for awhile when young. The pay was less than minimum wage as was considered to be equal to farm work. I got to play after work and fish in a few ponds on course that served for watering greens. As for tee placement the rationale was to move all tees up to front of teeing area at dusk on Fridays
---so as that weekend play when course normally congested that play might go more speedily. Another point that pins were set in middle of greens away from hazards, but then duffers playing course cannot help themselves finding most hazards on course regardless.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Hope to have this out in the next week or 2..
BFh6.jpg
BFh6.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 2122 times
BFh9.jpg
BFh9.jpg (995.48 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
BFh8.jpg
BFh8.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 2122 times
BFH11.jpg
BFH11.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 2122 times
BFh18.jpg
BFh18.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2122 times
BFh15.jpg
BFh15.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2122 times