teasing the APCD w/no crashes...bad idea - Harding Park

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
dorse72

teasing the APCD w/no crashes...bad idea - Harding Park

Post by dorse72 »

of course I tempted fate! and have had no crashes at all until yesterday, spent about 10hrs working on Harding Park, then boom on my final save a crash during the save (control S). so strange, and of course caught me w my pants down and had no backups except 1 that was from about 8hrs earlier.

I did no planting, no previous problems in the past going back to June 1 when I started working on this. Just a bunch of vert tweaking, extruded a small boathouse that neighbors the course, left it as a box really, just textured the side, made a path on a street about 300yds long, no biggie I dont think as I have 2 or 3 others.

also noticed on my crashed version, which of course was not able to open, said it wasnt a CRZ, had ballooned to 180mb from 140mb w me doing nothing but adding textures to replace the aerial around the shoreline for a small section, did nothing out of the ordinary. scares me now as I dont want to lose all this work. Anyone have ideas as to what happened??
sagevanni

Re: teasing the APCD w/no crashes...bad idea - Harding Park

Post by sagevanni »

There are no pat answers to why APCD crashes.

The best advice is to save as often as possible, even if it takes 20 minutes to save. I always copy and paste my latest save to the backup directory.

That's the best thing to do. I never lose more than 10-15 minutes worth of work.

10 hours......SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEsh....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage...... :fear:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

That is soul destroying.
In my case the crashes normally occur when I do too many edge turns.

Good luck,
Ian
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

I agree with Ian. Most all crashes occur when working with edges. :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

interesting, but still, you have to do alot of edge work to get details right, esp on 3D work. my saves are about 10sec, I save all the time, I just got lazy I guess that day, oh well, life goes on, just take a day away and re-do ur work, no biggie right? grrrrrr I did have an Avast virus running in the background and it pops up once in awhile during APCD work. I DID notice the blue spinning 'pc thinking' wheel just before the save and crash, hmmm. not sure what caused it but thats the only thinkg I can think of.
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

I got to thinking and with all this APCD work, the only course I really have to show finished is Colonial! so frustrated by that, that I'm finishing Harding Park before I move on to my other unfinished courses, Olympic and Riviera. So I'm planning on finishing Harding Park next month then take a few months off and do touch-ups and changes the client wants on the kitchen, then work on Olympic over Xmas, which is perfect as I usually have a low work-load.
So this week is doing the custom tree work on the Monterrey Cypresses, hoping this wont add to the file size too much, I will be using about 30 custom trees I'm guessing.