SHAUGHNESSY FOR APCDers

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Jimbo

SHAUGHNESSY FOR APCDers

Post by Jimbo »

I have decided to go to Shaughnessy next month for the LPGA Canadian Open.
I'll be going on one of the pre-tournament days:
1. It's not as crowded so I can get closer to the course,
2. It's a lot cheaper!😀

If I get the first ferry from the island I'll be there by 8:30...and can spend hours and hours taking pictures and still be home before midnight (assuming the ferries are running). :fcrossed:
Vancouver is onehelluvan expensive place to visit, especially getting a hotel room!!

Anyway as I said I'll have my digital phone...I'll find out what that big building beside the first hole really is (I think I know) and will get shots of the clubhouse (surprise, surprise).
So we can help each other.
The Beta was left open for editing and I'll be taking shots of each hole.
If you guys could please take a look at the Beta hopefully you'll be able to tell me what I need to do for you in order to get a Final version. I won't be able to get elevation details, although it's fairly level.
Like I said, Shaughnessy isn't far from the airport and it's in the "old money" section of Vancouver.
Please take a look and I'll be more than happy to do what I can. You can PM me or better yet just put your requests here...consider it a "Preliminary Nit Pick. :clapping:
I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
dorse72

Re: SHAUGHNESSY FOR APCDers

Post by dorse72 »

always wanted to see Vancouver, enjoy urself and upload some pics :cheers1:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Don't worry-I'm going to do a real-life "Nit Pick" and I'll probably send them to the website or work out a PM with one of our great APCD'ers. There's not much in terms of elevation, but that won't stop me! :cheers1:

I'll hopefully be able to get some "pano" shots. The east, west and north sides (the entrance is on the north side) provide cover...SW Marine Drive is, shall we say ralatively "exclusive") are probably just trees to hide the course from the "Old Money" property owners-but the south side is on the banks of the Fraser River and the Front Nine might (I said "might" ) get a view of the airport.

I wish that Capilano would agree to host a tournament so "regular" golf fans could walk around ...there are some "serious" panos there!😉
Last edited by Jimbo on July 15th, 2023, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
linkster

Post by linkster »

I couldn't find a DEM for Shaughnessy on the BC Lidar website but I did get the Lidar Point Cloud files for the course area. I have done a few DEM imports by generating the DEM from the point cloud data then getting the DEM into APCD.

What are your APCD skills like Jimbo? Can you add verts, map textures, and plant 2d objects? If you are up for it I can set you up with a DEM import of Shaughnessy. I have a list of projects that I have started but it would be nice to see some more Canadian golf courses. I am an east coast Canadian linkster. :thumbup:

Capilano would look awesome as a DEM import! Looks like lots of elevation changes there!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Unfortunately my APCD "skills", if that's what you call them-are virtually non-existent (although I keep trying)-certainly not enough to complete a real course...as the saying goes "Those that can-do and those that can't Nitpick.
BUT
If you ask Sage or Glenn they'll tell you that, after nagging them to do St. George's in Toronto they nailed it, with some pre-release nitpicking.
The same goes for Francois when he was doing Lambton (due east of St. George's...as you may have guessed I'm originally from Toronto and living out west.

My old commputer crashed, taking some of my early work with it. Shaughnessy and Capilano are both EXTREMELY private clubs and that's the reason I'm getting up VERY early to catch the first ferry to the mainland and spend most of the day "filling in" the missing details-remember that Shaughnessy was a rush job just to have a course ready for the "Canadian Open" on the KISS tour-that's why Mike left it "open to the public" for completion (a smart and very generous move on his part!) His basic layout is very good, but there a few things missing-namely the clubhouse, the view of the Fraser River and a lot more trees...other than that it looks good...without a lot of elevation changes
The other issue is that in ten years one of the top ten courses in Canada will be apartment buildings-unlike the Glen Abbey situation that I talked about last year this one involves land that was "leased" from the Musqueam that lay ancestral claim to the land and are determined to unlock its billion-dollar potential-and who can blame them-we're talking about the second most "prime" land in the city that already has the mose expensive real estae in Canada (up in the Capilano neighbourhood). Just Google a map and you'll see what I mean! Club officials continue to negotiate a mutually beneficial compromise, but in the face of mounting evidence, they’ve also begun seeking alternatives to ensure the club’s survival. On the good side (if you can call it that) they had to do this before (the original club was a few miles east and there are a few clubs in the beighbourhood that are very good, but very private, except for the club at UBC which is a fantastic public course but is on UBC property with a virtuallly perpetual lease with the Musqueam)

As for Capilano, that's my first intended course-and Real courses are very tough to duplicate, but given my lack of experience before I release a BETA, I'm going to have our top designers Nitpick an ALPHA and then, if any Linksters live in North Vancouver and/or members of the club :rofl: they'll have a chance to nitpick the Picker-it's going to take a long time to be able to send out an Alpha-i won't do it until I'm satisfies that the guys won't laugh...and since the members seem reluctant to host another tournament (the 1981 Senior Open is the only one) I'm going to have to use "other" methods.
Yes, it's a wonderful south pano on the front nine overlooking downtown Vancouver-and coming uphill on the back nine there's another great view of the North Shore Mountains (actually they're not far from Whistler...and there are two more Palmer and Nicklaus courses up there), not to mention 3 must-see courses on Vancouver Island.
I envy "Sage, Inc." :laugh: for his (their) ability to keep putting together great courses in record time!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Just a note before I head off to the mainland on Tuesday-I've done some pre-nitpicking and will add things like tournament objects and public washrooms (I've never seen a public toilet among tournament objects but, believe me I won't miss a single one!
Anyway, despite any minor nits all I can say is that, since Shaughnessy is a private club Mike Trendocher must be a member!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I have about a dozen or so tournament shots as well as regular stuff-bearing in mind that Tuesday was the first practise and setup day...
Chuck is updating the basics but my pictures show tournament objects as well as regular stuff on the back nine including a remarkably clean and blue Fraser River...as well as a public toilet-in case one isn't in your library, a Zamboni (at The Rink hole) and lots of train stuff, thanks to CP, now CPKC.
I don't know how many of you have actually attended a tournament-this is my third and it's by far the most entertainment that this 71 year old has ever had (even if I couldn't walk most of the front nine and about half the back nine). The course volunteers were amazing! Once Canadians get west of the Rockies they become even friendlier and more polite (especially with old geezers)...they didn't even boo if a player pooched a shot at The Rink (obviously they don't watch Phoenix or think that folks in Arizona are just too rude). :rofl:
Shaughnessy is one of Canada's top courses (certainly the best west of the Rockies) whose years unfortunately are numbered-they might be good for one more tournament-if the PGA and, more importantly Golf Canada got their act together it would be one last Canadian Open. :fcrossed:
It's very flat and the only water, other than at the refreshment stands (and in BC these days, you'd better stay well-hydrated) is the Fraser River that runs 100 feet below the 9th, 10th and 11th holes and is visible from behind the 12th tee and the 17th green (unless "The Rink" is set up). You'd really have to shank one...the River is OB. :rofl:
Anyway Chuckster, please leave your updated version in Beta until somebody like the Sage Association decides to use some of my pictures (especially the clubhouse and the big building on the west side of the first hole). I know what it is now but I'm not telling unless somebody uses it! :nono:
hopeless@golf

Post by hopeless@golf »

Hey Jimbo believe it or I actually did the course off what pictures I could find on the net and Google Earth

Mike Trendocher
AKA Hopeless@golf
hopeless@golf

Post by hopeless@golf »

Hey Jimbo believe it or I actually did the course off what pictures I could find on the net and Google Earth

Mike Trendocher
AKA Hopeless@golf
hopeless@golf

Post by hopeless@golf »

Rookie mistake double post :rofl: