National Golf Links

Announce and discuss forthcoming and recent course releases or request beta help from members.
Duck Hook

Re: National Golf Links

Post by Duck Hook »

That's the thing I guess. Sometimes we all have great ideas but getting them to look right in Links is another thing.
I am probably world champion at that.
I have only skipped through and checked out some of the more famous holes, I hope to get an actual full round in tonight. That is another issue I suppose, a lot of the design philosophies of the older, shorter courses can easily be lost in translation from real to Links. Either way, great course.

:cheers1:
T
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Glenn,

I can only echo the words of Todd:
Once again great job Glenn, outstanding quality and attention to detail....that damn windmill :clapping:
:tiphat:
Ian
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Thanks Ian, glad you like it
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

I don't know about easy.

I just played my first full round - Firm, Fast (c), random pins, champ click, top camera on. I shot 66, 7 birdies and 1 bogie ( on 11, missed green right, couldn't get up and down )

Certainly the shorter length and mostly quite generous fairways lessen the pain. I tried to play it using my brain taking a lot of trouble out of play, hitting a lot of 3 and 4 woods of the tee where necessary. Even then the approach shots weren't overly long and when the driver is out it's hard to miss a fairway.The greens on the other hand can provide a swift kick up the backside if you are not careful. I think the biggest help by far though was having the top cam open ( and using it to aim ), none more so than on"The Alps" hole. The next round I will remove the top cam and see how I go ....I think it will be more than 1 bogey... :laugh:

No beta testing, I was just enjoying the round. The stretch from 14 through to 18 is unbelievable golf. The one thing that surprised me is that the hole
modelled after the road hole at St. Andrews is a par 5. I didn't realise until I 3 putted for par... :laugh:

Despite what you may think of Charles B. Macdonald's method of design, how awesome must have this place seemed back in 1911

:cheers1:
T
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

HEAD AND SHOULDERS the best thing you've ever produced...phenomenal.... don't know what new techniques your using...but they clearly work...one of the best REAL courses produced in recent years..presume its a Lidar DEM...continue producing work to that level Glen...one very minor ...well not a quibble....more a suggestion ..maybe involve some MINOR wear to the fairway textures in places...to break up the pristine look of the fairways..rarely do I download a course...and feel the need to complete a FULL round..but this was one of those courses...in other words ...ya get HOOKED by the course...and you feel incumbent to complete a full round....I noticed the lake textures are non-reflective(no sky)...but presume that will be remedied for the FINAL....in a word...Incredible :notworthy:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Glenn: I'm semi-retired from nitpicking but I found something interesting. First of all, it's nice to see a course that doesn't need a 7,000 yards PGA length-especially with the lack of available land these days (although the National isn't exactly "new". :smile:

I tried to visit the club website but there wasn't much more than a title page so I Googled it:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=national% ... PTAG=30152

If they're open 24 hours a day, shouldn't there be lights? :scared:
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

Jimbo,

I truly have no idea where that came from. It’s not the clubs website and I guarantee they are not open 24 hours a day .

Glenn
badgolfer1

Post by badgolfer1 »

braden1308 wrote: November 1st, 2023, 5:21 pm Jimbo,

I truly have no idea where that came from. It’s not the clubs website and I guarantee they are not open 24 hours a day .

Glenn
Glenn, You are most kind to respond back to Jimbo. I had written in something and deleted it before. The site referenced by Jimbo I looked into and have to think that club is in reference to country club aspect which is more than just playing golf when daylight exists. Also there would be no need to have huge clubhouses if the sole purpose was for players to sign in and buy some golf merchandise from just a pro shop---say a dining room for lunch or a dinner afterwards a round or a place to sleep over and play another day if were from out of town. Also country clubs are notable for non-golfers or golfers having interest such as card games, billards, swimming, tennis, and get together socials as well. There are other sites on internet that feature holes of this course and show history of National Golf Links that are more informative. There are several courses nearby that also are highly rated in USA, but Shinnecock Hills seems to be the only one with sufficient length to test modern day men's pros in a major.
badgolfer1

Post by badgolfer1 »

Reading through Duck Hook's post about generous fairways and short length of course. Watching flyover of course and seemed to be a lot of trouble with sand traps all over as well as steep enbankment fall offs around some greens. Playing the course only gets tricky when speed up greens and find downhill chips/putts that run away from hole making it most difficult to get up and down. Also the views in Links are different as look to say Redan green using closeup view cannot see the sand trap to green's left side from tee. The course only has a few holes where can see where aiming out to by golfer's view, but then I always use overhead view to compensate especially on flattish links style courses. The course lists as par 72 with 3 par 3's, 3 par 5's with a length of about 6,900 yards. Tried to find out what original hole lengths were back in 1911 and only saw Road Hole was 455 yards now played at 505 yards and that with Sebonak being built next door that changes were done around green for the Cape Hole by articles found.
Last edited by badgolfer1 on November 7th, 2023, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
braden1308

Post by braden1308 »

badgolfer1 wrote: November 1st, 2023, 7:35 pm
badgolfer1 wrote: November 1st, 2023, 5:58 pm
braden1308 wrote: November 1st, 2023, 5:21 pm Jimbo,

Glenn
Glenn, You were most kind to respond back to Jimbo. I had written in something and deleted it before. The site referenced by Jimbo I looked into and have to think that club is in reference to country club aspect which is more than just playing golf when daylight exists. There would be no need to have huge clubhouses if the sole purpose was for players to sign in and buy some golf merchandise from just a pro shop---say a dining room for lunch or a dinner afterwards a round or a place to sleep over and play another day if were from out of town. Also country clubs are notable for non-golfers or golfers having interest such as card games, billiards, swimming, tennis, get together socials as well and today's time possibly an indoor's practice range as well as a real practice range outdoors and those may well be lighted for practice after dark. There are other sites on internet that feature holes of this course and show history of National Golf Links that are more informative. There are several courses nearby that also are highly rated in USA, but Shinnecock Hills seems to be the only one with sufficient length to test modern day men's pros in a major.
Sorry,

I should have said for golf, he asked where the lights were.

Glenn