Reshade breathes new life

For all topics about the playing of Links, such as Swing Types etc.
Guitarzan

Reshade breathes new life

Post by Guitarzan »

Hey guys, Rehade works with Links and makes it look like a whole new game.

A bit of Bloom and HDR and no jaggies on those bunkers and game hasn't crashed yet!

Even an old converted LS course like Pinehurst 8 has life. Look at the bridge and bunker, no jaggies!

You can manipulate the colours and brightness and effects and this is the first plugin that I've used that lets in AA without the sim crashing.
Here's some old school B&W . I would highly recommend using Reshade to bring some more life into this game.

Weeler

Re: Reshade breathes new life

Post by Weeler »

If I download "Reshade", then apply it to Links, is it engaged ALL of the time, or can I switch in and out of it ? Can I change the settings with each different course, or does it apply the settings the same to all of them ? How does it "affect" my Nvidia graphics card set up ? I've already found the download online.....but I'm almost hesitant to try it. Can you tell us all more ?
Guitarzan

Post by Guitarzan »

Sure thing! It works just fine with the voodoo wrapper that makes Links run under W10 and W11 so you don't have to do a thing with that.

When you set it up, point it to the Links and Links Launcher exe.

You will then have 4 different rendering options and you pick DX10+

The program will then download the shaders and they will automatically go in the Links folder.

When you start Links you will see a header at the top that Reshade is downloading the shaders. (this will disappear)

When you load up the game, and are on the tee, hit your Home button and it will call up the Reshade screen and you can choose as many effects as you want to play around with. On first use, there is a tutorial but I just hit the continue button.

When you're done, hit the Home button again and the Reshade interface disappears.

Like I said, this makes the game look so much better. I just discovered an effect that makes the images sharper than I have ever seen. I've been fooling around trying to get fog but it still too extreme right now.

If you don't want the effects just uncheck the boxes and you can also make your own presets for different situations. You don't have to touch your Nvdia settings.

Hope this helps!
Guitarzan

Post by Guitarzan »

Here's one more. Notice how razor sharp the textures are. Also look at the rays coming over the trees. It's a gimmicky effect called Tracking Rays but it just illustrates what you can manipulate.

Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Guitarzan: I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing, But the shader program never ends up appearing in the Links game itself. Went through the upload instructions you provided, and it even tells me that it installed successfully.....but it's not there. Nothing comes up on any of the game screens telling me that it's loading the Shader, etc. ( when it comes up and says select ".ini", I selected Links Launcher file. Is that correct ? ) . Can you determine why I'm coming up empty on this ? I've gotta be missing a step.

Thanks........Ron

BTW.....love that last screenshot !
Guitarzan

Post by Guitarzan »

Are you on Windows 10 or 11? Also did you hit the browse button and point it to both the Links Launcher and Links exe.? Is there a "reshade-shaders" folder in your Links 2003 folder? Nothing happened when you hit the Home button?
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Well, actually I'm using Windows 7 because Links works best for me ( and others ) using that older OS. I only chose Links Launcher .exe , not LInks.
I DO have A Reshade - Shader file and it has 39 items in it. What "Home" button are you referring to ? I can't find ANY Home button on the Links game,
and like I mentioned the "Shader App." doesn't come up on any screen. Sorry.....I'm not a total PC / gamer novice.....but not exactly savvy, either.
Bear with me.....I just want to get this to work. I appreciate your time.
Guitarzan

Post by Guitarzan »

Okay maybe because you're using W7 maybe you should have clicked on the DX9 option. Your "Home" button is on your keyboard on the right hand side usually around your delete and print screen button. Also I pointed the Reshader app to both Links exe. files for good measure. I'm not sure if my situation works right out of the box because I'm on W10 and I also didn't touch the Voodoo wrapper or change any Nvidia settings.
Weeler

Post by Weeler »

Well, it looks like I'm out of luck trying this program. I tried all the upload options, it IS supposed to work on Windows 7 using the DX9 option. When I press "finish" , it says that it is installed successfully. But when I go into the game....nothing happens when I press home, and there's virtually NO sign
of the "Reshade" software interface.

So.....I'd like to ask any other players who are playing Links using Windows 7 ( and are interested in trying Reshade ) to let me know if they can get it to work OK, and exactly what they did to accomplish that. Thanks Guitarzan for trying to help me out. It looks like a fun add-on that would make things better for and older game like Links.

Ron
Guitarzan

Post by Guitarzan »

Hmmm that's a shame, Ron. I'm beginning to think that the directx files that came with the voodoo2 package might be the key that makes it work great with my Windows 10 Links 2003 install. I imagine you didn't need the voodoo fix to get your game going in Windows 7. The only other thing I can think of is that Links needs those Direct Draw and Directx files from the voodoo package to work. It's only my guess and believe me, I'm not a computer whiz and whenever I run into problems with anything I use the internet to find a solution. I couldn't seem to find one that pertained to your situation. Sorry about that.