Is EA getting things right? - Links 2k3 Threat Alert !

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
GoBucks

Re: Is EA getting things right? - Links 2k3 Threat Alert !

Post by GoBucks »

pmgolf wrote: March 10th, 2023, 8:25 pm
Just an FYI - if you want to know the date a course was actually produced, you don't look at Links Corner's course record, you look at the date on the .CRZ. For Ardennes Dunes, that was 12/31/2002. :smile:

Pete
I didn't know that, Useful information. But I just downloaded the course (only way i could think of to get the date you reference) and the CRZ date is 8/23/2018. Go figure. :dunno:
No matter where you go, there you are.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

It must be a housekeeping issue. Perhaps Andy changes the date based on when he received permission to put the .CRZ file in his database. That version is the same size - to the byte - as the original 2002 version, so I seriously doubt if anyone has gone into the file and changed anything. And all the miscellaneous files in the .zip (readme's, etc.) have been changed to that same date. (and the course is locked, too)

Pete
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

pmgolf wrote: March 11th, 2023, 3:05 pm It must be a housekeeping issue. Perhaps Andy changes the date based on when he received permission to put the .CRZ file in his database. That version is the same size - to the byte - as the original 2002 version, so I seriously doubt if anyone has gone into the file and changed anything. And all the miscellaneous files in the .zip (readme's, etc.) have been changed to that same date. (and the course is locked, too)

Pete
Firstly, the date in the LC Course database is the date the course is released at Links Corner. This ensures that the newest releases appear first in the default view.

Ardennes Dunes was a P2P course and therefore not available for download here. In the fullness of time, I obtained permission from most of the designers of P2P courses to release their courses as free downloads.

In this particular case (bear in mind I could be talking rubbish :rofl: ) the course was distributed as an executable file (.exe) which when ran installed the CRZ file and the other bits and pieces automatically. However, this meant that the CRZ creation date was set at the time the course was installed. The distribution of .exe files is frowned upon these days so I zipped up the files I had extracted (which I did on the 23rd August 2018) so that explains the creation date of the CRZ file.

Andy
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

...Good old Andy...forever crossing the t's -(non pun intended.....FFFOOOUUURR...) and dotting the i's....hehehehe.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Looks like nice clubhouses... :rofl:
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I have been thinking about getting this to try it out, but I see it more as a replacement for GBC than for Links 2003. I have not bought a new golf game in twenty years (Links is so good and the designers/community have been incredible) so I think its time...
Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo »

I am passionate about everything positive said here regarding Links 2003. Unfortunately, I think it's eventual doom will be both hardware and software related.
Forced into a new PC 16 months ago, i am stuck with Windows 11. Originally with some help from this Tech Forum I was able to get Links running perfectly. Unfortunately, Microshaft updates W11 monthly (roughly). So six months ago after an update I could no longer play Links Career in "With Another Golfer" mode (which I prefer in Career). Now the game will not let me putt out (ball remains on edge of hole and stroke added every time I try to tap it in). Still, I can play against players I have created which is my favorite mode; so I'm able to enjoy regular games in a foursome with any 3 of "Bob the Basher", "Larry the Lagger", "Naughty Norma", "Dancin' Dave", "Crazy Connie", "Freddie the Fondler", "Pete the Geek", "Malice Alice" ....... there are several more, but you get the idea. So I could, manually, create my own career and play against all of them ... I guess?

I also Play JN6, which runs perfectly in Win 11, but I would be happy if someone created a better looking JN6 to be 2nd to Links 2003 or, maybe, a better looking Links 2003 with improved sound and animations (trees moving and leaves rustling in the wind and animated crowds etc.), and maybe adding the shot shape arrow from JN6.
I always wanted to write something intelligent in my signature. Now that I think about it, I guess I just did! :clapping: :smile:
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I have turned off Windows Updates, and I've read about all the warnings. A Windows update now prevents me from playing Links on my laptop, but my desktop is my main PC. Microsoft acts like they own my PC's, and they don't!

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

pmgolf wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:40 pm A Windows update now prevents me from playing Links on my laptop,

Pete
Can't you do a "Restore" from an earlier date? Or from your "easeus" software?
No matter where you go, there you are.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey, pmgolf....just a suggestion here...but it's likely a security update...if anything preventing you playing....i generally "pause..updates for 7 days...and have my internet..."connect auto when in range..turned OFF always...so just try this...do same...restart...fire up links ...obviously directly from a restart and Not CONNECTED online....see if that works...also check task manager start up...seee what ya have ticked and unticked..... :fcrossed: