LIV

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Kunkleman

Re: LIV

Post by Kunkleman »

I included Rory because he said that Rahm should be included in the 2025 Ryder Cup even though he went to LIV.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Kunkleman wrote: December 8th, 2023, 5:42 pm I included Rory because he said that Rahm should be included in the 2025 Ryder Cup even though he went to LIV.
Koepke (spelling?) played for us this year. Not sure why Rahm wouldn't be eligible, Although, I didn't think Brooks belonged on our team.
No matter where you go, there you are.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

There's not even a whisper about any of this on pgatour.com, but I expected that. Funny how we never hear about LIV players wanting to return to the PGA Tour. Players can talk all they want about how they just love to play golf, but it's obviously mostly about the money. How much are they signing Rahm up for, $300M? Even as a top player he'd likely not earn that much in the PGA, and that's before he's even played an LIV match. Rahm leaving is a huge blow. If one more top player leaves, Scheffler, for example, that could be the tipping point.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/scottie- ... es-through

"if merger goes through"? As I've long suspected, it seems nothing at all has been done about forging a merger between PGA and LIV. That could all have been worked on and finished during the off-season, but it looks to me all it was is a mutual consent to stop beating up on each other, just a ceasefire. I haven't seen a single report about a merger being worked on; please let me know if you have information. I do believe Jon Rahm leaving for LIV ruffled a few feathers, some of them belonging to Scheffler, and emotions are likely running a bit higher than they were four months ago. If one more top player were to "defect", that might increase the pressure to get a merger done.

The very last line in that story is noteworthy: "The Tour did, however, receive a $3 billion investment from Strategic Sports Group, and it does not include the PIF."
dko

Post by dko »

I don't have any additional information, but the latest impressions from those who decided to stay with the PGA is that the merger with PIF will be problematic if there isn't some kind of penalty/retribution/compensation before allowing the "renegades" to return. While Rory has backed off his initial criticism of LIV, there are still some heavy hitters opposed to an unqualified "welcome back" (Scotty, Justin, Jordan.) If Tiger, as is rumored, also opposes a clean resolution, it could be the dealbreaker.

The SSG investment really only buys the PGA Tour time, maybe a few years or so. $3 billion vs. PIF is a drop in the bucket. With the LIV players rolling in the dough, it seems unlikely that they're going to willingly accept punishment, and I think it all boils down to how long the PIF decides to play this game (AND there was word that the PIF has threatened its bankers if they cooperate with the US Senate's request for PIF financial info.)

Thank goodness we can continue to play the game the way we like it.
Doug
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I don't think that the PGA wants their players to wear shorts!😀
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

dko wrote: February 10th, 2024, 5:49 am I don't have any additional information, but the latest impressions from those who decided to stay with the PGA is that the merger with PIF will be problematic if there isn't some kind of penalty/retribution/compensation before allowing the "renegades" to return. While Rory has backed off his initial criticism of LIV, there are still some heavy hitters opposed to an unqualified "welcome back" (Scotty, Justin, Jordan.) If Tiger, as is rumored, also opposes a clean resolution, it could be the dealbreaker.

The SSG investment really only buys the PGA Tour time, maybe a few years or so. $3 billion vs. PIF is a drop in the bucket. With the LIV players rolling in the dough, it seems unlikely that they're going to willingly accept punishment, and I think it all boils down to how long the PIF decides to play this game (AND there was word that the PIF has threatened its bankers if they cooperate with the US Senate's request for PIF financial info.)

Thank goodness we can continue to play the game the way we like it.
I think there are likely many of the lower-ranked PGA players PO'd at LIV simply because they had no shot at even being asked to join LIV. Even John Daly was told he's too old to join (by Greg Norman). This year is important for LIV, to prove whether they'll be around for a while and increase in popularity, or start to fade.

Fortunately, after having a stroke, and now a leg infection that's taking its time to heal, I can no longer even dream of playing golf, which I played poorly in any case. Lesson learned: Don't let your old man be your golf tutor!
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Now it's April 2024, and still no word of an agreement/reconciliation between the PGA and LIV. So I have to assume it was basically an agreement to stop bashing each other in public and let the chips fall as they may. But what if Scottie Scheffler were to jump ship? That would be very interesting!