Links won't launch on new device

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
dko

Re: Links won't launch on new device

Post by dko »

This is the product description from Amazon:

Dell OptiPlex Desktop Computer (i5-2500 3.3GHz Quad Core CPU, 8GB RAM, 1GB Video Card, New 240GB SSD Hard Drive, WiFi, Bluetooth, Windows 10) (Renewed)

These are the specs provided on Amazon:

Processor ‎3.3 GHz core_i5
RAM ‎8 GB
Hard Drive ‎240 GB Solid State Hard Drive
Graphics Card Ram Size ‎8 GB
Wireless Type ‎802.11bgn
Number of USB 2.0 Ports ‎8
Other Technical Details
Brand ‎Dell
Series ‎Optiplex
Item model number ‎Optiplex
Hardware Platform ‎PC
Operating System ‎Windows 10
Item Weight ‎20 pounds
Product Dimensions ‎18 x 18 x 10 inches
Item Dimensions LxWxH ‎18 x 18 x 10 inches
Processor Brand ‎Intel
Processor Count ‎1
Computer Memory Type ‎DIMM
Hard Drive Interface ‎ATA

I don't even know what anti-aliasing is, so not sure how important it is.
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

The card won't be good for gaming. Probably the other PC is actually better when it comes to Links. Anti-aliasing I can show you screenshots when I have a chance unless someone else has an example. It will likely mean a considerably heftier price on the PC. Just quickly looking, prices are still high right now due to the chip shortage on graphics cards.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

If you can hold off till the weekend I can take a little look around for you unless anyone else has PC suggestions.
The problem is right now prices are high due to Covid and chip shortages.
I understand it is really difficult for people to buy a PC if you are not very computer literate.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Had time to take a little look. If you go with your first option that's the cheapest at around $200US. To buy a PC with a card that will give you anti-aliasing it’s around $500US.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Here is a screenshot without anti-aliasing (AA). You can see the poles are jagged. You will see this in various areas of courses. AA fixes it and makes lines straight.

1.jpg
1.jpg (99.66 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

Thanks so much for your patience and help Still Linksing!
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: February 7th, 2022, 8:11 pm Thanks so much for your patience and help Still Linksing!
No probs. First computer is fine but be aware with integrated graphics Links will almost certainly need dgvoodoo applied. (Sticky in this forum)
I don't think there have ever been any reports of integrated graphics not working. You just need dgvoodoo.
The processor earlier I said is excellent but that's not referring to the integrated graphics. I've never used or tried the integrated graphics with Links 2003 as I use a dedicated graphics card.

If you buy a PC please let us know what you decide on.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

This is my ideal computer for playing Links 2003. https://www.premiercomputersolutions.co ... ames-etc-1 You can of course buy a better graphics card if you wish but the one that comes with this computer will play the game no problem. These are refurbished computers with Windows 7.
dko

Post by dko »

This is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I actually dug up my old laptop running XP Professional, but (1) I can't remember the password, and (2) it probably doesn't matter anyway since it was a company-issue that they let me keep but will only try to open in a now-defunct network. Too bad, since I know I used to play Links on it.

I'm getting cold feet on the used computer option. There seem to be too many horror stories in the comments section of Amazon when looking at the various options I've explored, and the Dell Optiplex 7010 I was looking at is sold by SJ Computers LLC, which doesn't seem to have a stellar reputation.

The price is probably "roll the dice" acceptable, but before I do so I was wondering if anyone else had something to add.

HELP!!!!!
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Hey Doug,

To find decent and reliable computers for around $200 US will be tough. Below is one option I could find that I would consider viable for your purpose and be prepared to buy myself.
A computer like the one below should have all new components as claimed by the seller. This should hopefully make it reliable long term. Don't expect to run anti-aliasing with it. It should run all Links courses but some of the more system intensive HD courses will likely require some screen redraw patience on your behalf.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352928142344?h ... SwJa5heEO3

Price may be too high and others may be able to find better options. There are quite a few AMD options out there but I'm not a AMD fan. I'll post if I find anything better.

Mark
Golf Sim Clubhouse