Is EA getting things right? - Links 2k3 Threat Alert !

Welcome to Links Corner, this Forum is to say Hello and have a General Chat about Golf/Links related subjects.
pmgolf

Re: Is EA getting things right? - Links 2k3 Threat Alert !

Post by pmgolf »

Advertise! Groups of old guys. I can't believe you won't find a Window 7 computer (it's just as good as XP, if not better) that someone will sell you. That's what my backup PC is. Ask guys to ask their friends.

Pete
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

I'm still experimenting w/ the new EA game for $10.

Note there is no Links 2k3 style real time swing via mouse. They force the need for an xbox style controller with its analog sticks for the swing or you can use of the old three click method which I've been trying. I used to use that method before Links got the RTS.

It also looks pretty muted and washed out color-wise vs our great courses.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I was looking at that survey of the age of our members. IMHO there are quite a few of us older Linksters who'll probably stick with this baby rather than learn a whole new game.
Links makes me happy-except for the damn APCD...
John B

Post by John B »

john_iv wrote: May 1st, 2024, 4:55 am I'm still experimenting w/ the new EA game for $10.

Note there is no Links 2k3 style real time swing via mouse. They force the need for an xbox style controller with its analog sticks for the swing or you can use of the old three click method which I've been trying. I used to use that method before Links got the RTS.

It also looks pretty muted and washed out color-wise vs our great courses.
A question in regards to the three click method on this game ... Is there a way to use a mouse to do the clicking instead of pushing the "A" button on the keyboard to swing? I've looked through the menu and can't see an option for that.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Yes. I believe the sequence is 1 click to start, 1 click at max and 1 click at ball-club contact, where 1 click is 1 left mouse click.

Pete
John B

Post by John B »

pmgolf wrote: May 1st, 2024, 7:47 pm Yes. I believe the sequence is 1 click to start, 1 click at max and 1 click at ball-club contact, where 1 click is 1 left mouse click.

Pete
Hi Pete, thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it, but I think you misunderstood my question. I understand how a 3 click mouse swing works. I've used it in Links and other golf games for decades.

My question is in regards to the EA Sports PGA Tour game for PC which I purchased and downloaded yesterday. I played it for the first time using what is apparently the default controller device, the keyboard, but I can't find anywhere in the game menu that allows a player to use a mouse instead of the keyboard make the 3 click swing.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Sorry. I'm long past trying the other golf games. I thought you were talking about Links.

Pete
john_iv

Post by john_iv »

John B wrote: May 1st, 2024, 8:33 pm My question is in regards to the EA Sports PGA Tour game for PC which I purchased and downloaded yesterday. I played it for the first time using what is apparently the default controller device, the keyboard, but I can't find anywhere in the game menu that allows a player to use a mouse instead of the keyboard make the 3 click swing.
Doesn't look like it, John. I'm going through the coaching challenges to learn the intricacies.
John B

Post by John B »

john_iv wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 7:24 am
John B wrote: May 1st, 2024, 8:33 pm My question is in regards to the EA Sports PGA Tour game for PC which I purchased and downloaded yesterday. I played it for the first time using what is apparently the default controller device, the keyboard, but I can't find anywhere in the game menu that allows a player to use a mouse instead of the keyboard make the 3 click swing.
Doesn't look like it, John. I'm going through the coaching challenges to learn the intricacies.
Ok thanks John, was wondering if I was just overlooking that option somehow. Yet another reason why this game will never completely win me over.

One other thing, and this is probably something I did wrong ... when I first played the game I created a player and used him to play a round at Pebble Beach. Then later that evening I went to play a second round, this time at Augusta, yet the player I created was nowhere to be found. I thought I had "saved" him after creating him so I could use him to play from now on, but apparently not.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I haven't had much time for golf real or sim over the last year.

I bought EA as a replacement for GBC and in that lens it's great, but not as good as links. I play it with the controller and haven't quite got the hang of it. Although to be fair I also got F123 last year and struggle with the controller on that as well, so it's probably just me.

I still play Links as well and when I went to play Augusta as few weeks ago I played Linksters August 2024 version which is amazing!!!!

What I do like about EA is the ability to play a few different courses and short events. I mainly do short sessions on there but when I want to play a full round, Links is still my go to.

Cheers, Colin