Terrain Painter

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Ian Wells

Terrain Painter

Post by Ian Wells »

I would like to ask for help regarding a minor frustration I have using the terrain painter.

When I use the painter I find that in 20-30%(?) of the time I get two or three vertices instead of a single vertex.

I assume that the problem is one of the following:
  • My mouse - see below
  • I move when I click, although I have made an effort to not move.
  • It is just another APCD gremlin
I use a Logitech MS Master 2S which I have had for a couple of years, (I think), and enjoy using it.

Adding two or three vertices instead of one, is very frustrating.

Do other APCD users have a similar problem, or is it just me, and if it is me, and will you suggest what my problem is, and how to remedy it? (Please limit your suggestions to this problem, not all my problems. :whistle: :laugh: )

Thank you,
:tiphat:
Ian
pmgolf

Re: Terrain Painter

Post by pmgolf »

It happens to me pretty frequently, and I've always thought it was caused by a slight movement of my hand. After doing 15-20 verts, I zoom in to check for multiples. In my case, I have a hand tremor, so I expect it to happen. Just another quirk of the APCD, I guess! :smile: And I have a cheap-as-you-get B100 Logitech wired mouse.

Pete
jwgriffingca

Post by jwgriffingca »

I think this is fairly common. I usually noticed it when I was attempting to add a vert in an area with other existing verts in very close proximity, or if the area had a sharp elevation change, but not always. My usual course of action, instead of deleting the extra verts, was to undo (the vert insertion that resulted in unwanted multiple verts), and then retry in a slightly different area until only one vert was painted. I would then move the vert slightly if needed to get it where I wanted it.

Not sure that's an overall net time saver, but it seemed easier to me than deleting the extra verts which often came with a nasty web of tangled edges. So after deleting the extra verts, I'd still have to turn some edges to get them in order. And frequently I'd have to move the remaining vert anyway to fine-tune its location.

John
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

Hi Ian,
I have that problem all the time and I feel it's a un-resolvable.
I click 2-3 times and if I can't make 1 vert show up, I just accept the 2-3 verts and go back and delete the ones I don't want and turn edges if I have to.
Nothing I have tried makes any difference. I just live with it. VERY annoying APCD glitch. :rant:

I agree with "jwgriffingca"...... :cheers1:

Sage........ :cheers1:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Gentlemen,

Your responses seem to confirm what I feared, an APCD gremlin. :wallbash:
Thank you very much for your confirmation.
We do love APCD,………. don’t we?
:cheers1:
Ian
linkster

Post by linkster »

Yeah, getting multiple verts out of the terrain painter occasionally is something I see regularly as well. I think it is somewhat related to the slope of the terrain where the verts are being added; the multiple verts seem to occur more frequently on side hills for example.

Try using edge collapse for deleting verts. If you select an edge with the mouse near the vert you want to keep, the tool acts like snapping the verts together. The tool doesn't always work on slopes or complex geometries but it can be a time saver by avoiding edge turning. It is really hard to get in there and collapse the edges of the multiple verts from the terrain painter tool but I now use edge collapse as much as I can.

:cheers1:
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Linkster,
I think it is somewhat related to the slope of the terrain where the verts are being added;
It happens to me when I am adding the green contours as well as on the slopes. :rant:
I have never knowingly used the edge collapse before, but I will give it a try when next time.

Thank you, :tiphat:

Ian
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

I agree with jw and all the rest. The problem has been around since day 1. I have looked at it in every way I know how, and have concluded its just another annoying APCD glitch that can't be solved. It is frustrating to say the least. When I get annoyed with it, I switch over to single-shot verts, and turn off the surface painter. Another annoyance is when you try to add a vert about a foot from a line, and it places it 3 or 4 feet away instead. I see that a lot too.

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Dan,
When I get annoyed with it, I switch over to single-shot verts, and turn off the surface painter.
That is exactly what I do.
Another annoyance is when you try to add a vert about a foot from a line, and it places it 3 or 4 feet away instead. I see that a lot too.
I agree.
The painter can save a lot of work but it is frustrating, which is typical APCD. :smile:

Ian