Planting mystery

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
Danny D

Re: Planting mystery

Post by Danny D »

dorse72 wrote: October 18th, 2023, 2:41 pm screenshots, those are the strange areas leftover from the 'forest planting' so weird they are in straight lines, almost like its a viewpoint or something, no clue. Collin and I have tried to think of everything, like Jon W did previously, been yrs since I talked to him but I could reach out to him i guess.
Will those missing plants eventually come into view as you move toward them? If you have a minute, try moving toward them 50 yds at a time and see if they start appearing.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
dorse72

Post by dorse72 »

yes they were there, checked all around the shoreline. the 2nd forest plant seemed to be successful after a 'select all' and then delete
Colin Jones

Post by Colin Jones »

dorse72 wrote: October 18th, 2023, 2:40 pm Without going into alot of detail, I can verify this remedy works, I selected all the 2Ds, de-selected the 2Ds I wanted to keep, deleted the forest grass plantings I just did, then redid carefully with just 4 grasses, making sure they showed up and went slowly. checked all around, turned off 2Ds, saved, saved as a test playtest, V&S, then tested in Links, and they are all there, no strange squares w missing plants. so back on track, though took acouple days to get this sorted out, takes forever to get a course out omg. :pcwhack:

heres a screenshot of the strange areas - this area was planted entirely in one shape. the lake has about 4 shapes to plant the shoreline - 3 big lakes here surrounding the course, and all the shorelines have mass grasses covering them, just looks wrong to leave them bare.
So, for the record, Eric has the final piece of this puzzle. The problem can now be completely fixed, easily and quickly. You will not need to replant your course or use a backed-up CRZ.

The fix:
There are hidden 2D objects in your CRZ that must be removed, To do so:
- Make sure the entire course is visible in Top View (or similar)
- Go to your Plantings tab and select 2D
- From the menubar, click on Select then All
- Deselect your visible objects by holding down the Control key, and then box-selecting your entire plot in Top View (at least covering all the areas that have been planted)
- Whilst it may appear that there are no longer any 2D objects selected, hit the X (delete) button.

The "hidden 2D objects" will now be deleted. The course should be fine and fully plantable again.

The cause:
The cause of the hidden objects is almost certainly not undoing unsuccessful forest plants. So the lesson learnt is to be careful when using forest planting and make sure you undo any planting where the objects do not seem to display.

Colin
Completed: Golf Club of Houston (Redstone); Banff Springs; Mauna Kea 2024
Working on: Royal Sydney (2024); NSW Golf Club (2024)