Max verts

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
braden1308

Max verts

Post by braden1308 »

I have narrowed down the max number of verts I am able to load in the APCD. It is right around 527,000. As I am working on NGLA I started to run into an problem.

As I was working on a hole, things were fine, I would save halfway through the hole and see how it looked in links. I then would re-open and finish the hole (no planting yet), v&s, open and play in links. Come back to the APCD and the file would freeze while it was loading edges.

I did this a couple of times, each time starting with the save from the half finished hole. Finish it, load in links, play it, but when I would try and re-open in the APCD, loading edges freeze. I then spent the better part of a day deleting verts around the course, some 50 - 60 thousand. I then finished the hole and this time I was able to open in the APCD. So, now it will be another thing to keep an eye on with my courses to watch out for. I would imagine that each designer might have different vert limits, depending on their computers but it would seem there is a cap at a little over 520,000 verts.

Glenn
linkster

Re: Max verts

Post by linkster »

Completely agree with your findings Glenn.

I had the max vert count narrowed down to between 530k and 520k so not surprised with 527k. APCD can handle more verts and save the course but will freeze when trying to open the course again. I have actually had a little over 2 million verts in the APCD for a DEM import of the Old Course at St Andrews but I have to delete verts from the plot to get under the limit before saving. The simplify verts function works well with DEM imports but trying to drop the vert count substantially this way can lead to APCD memory issues and crash when saving. It is best to delete areas of the square course plot not used or not visible from normal play.

You started with 465k verts for NGLA Glenn. What are you up to that would add that many more verts? :scared:
braden1308

Re: Max verts

Post by braden1308 »

linkster wrote: September 1st, 2023, 12:46 am

You started with 465k verts for NGLA Glenn. What are you up to that would add that many more verts? :scared:
3D work and seam blends, it's a very busy piece of work :cheers1: