UN-EFFING-BELIEVABLE!!!!

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Jimbo

UN-EFFING-BELIEVABLE!!!!

Post by Jimbo »

🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁 :clapping: :cheers1: :laugh: :rofl:
Jimbo

Re: UN-EFFING-BELIEVABLE!!!!

Post by Jimbo »

I'm thinking that half the fans were yelling "HURRY HARD"!

But seriously-check the blue and yellow crest on the sleeves of the Canadian players. The Royal Canadian Bank of Commerce (RBC for non-Canadians) is paying dividends-pun definitely intended).
Look at the number of Canadians who made the cut-not just the number of Canadians who entered.

Sage & Glenn...I know that I promised that I'd never ask again and you'll probably tell me to go to he'll, but the Canadian Open is back at Oakdale in three years... :whistle:

BTW as I may have mentioned Oakdale, despite being an old course is now the north end of Toronto' "Murderers' Row"!😁
dko

Post by dko »

Jimbo wrote: June 12th, 2023, 12:45 am 🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁 :clapping: :cheers1: :laugh: :rofl:
Jimbo, I'm with you on this one. The unbelievable putt, the unbelievable call from "Buffalo" Jim, the tackle of Adam Hadwin and the reaction from his wife. Great moments in golf!

Canadians rule! :clapping:
Doug
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Let me know when it's back in Montreal. Toronto SUCKS, and always will.
Jimbo

Re: UN-EFFING-BELIEVABLE!!!!-US LINKSTERS, READ AT YOU OWN RISK!

Post by Jimbo »

ROOORE-YOU OPENED A RATHER LARGE PIMPLE THAT NEEDS TO BE POPPED BUT:
Remember the US saying "It's all about the Benjamins"?
In Canada "It's all about the Bordens"...plus 25%. (Robert Borden was our 8th Prime Minister and I'll bat a Loonie that most Canadians don't know it!
Unfortunately the closest thing to Montreal will be next year's Presidents Cup. For Canadian fans, here's a list up the upcoming PGA Canadian Opens that have been confirmed:

Remember that then Glen Abbey was biult it was intended to be the permanent home of the Canadian Open (like "Aususta North"). I've talked about he "Adventures of Glen Abbey" in another thread.

But take a look at this linkit shows some Canadian courses that are or have been or will be extended to 7,00 yards. There are some very well-known names...and something else that you'll recognize.
Note that Islington isn't on the list and Shaughnessy will be looking for a new home in 10 years.

https://beyondthecontour.com/the-rollba ... n-edition/
Last edited by Jimbo on June 16th, 2023, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I'm also putting together some info. that Canadian Linksters might find interesting about our "National" Open. I'll post it here shortly/
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

ROOOOORE-YOU OPENED A RATHER LARGE PIMPLE THAT NEEDS TO BE POPPED BUT:
Maybe this should be in one of my other Canadian posts, but since we're here anyway...

Remember the US saying "It's all about the Benjamins"?
In Canada "It's all about the Bordens"...plus 25%. (Robert Borden was our 8th Prime Minister and I'll bat a Loonie that most Canadians don't know it!)
Believe it or not (and it's not hard to believe) that in the history of the Canadian a grand total of TWENTY-EIGHT have ever been held
outside the GTA (the area between Toronto and Hamilton-an area that includes Glen Abbey).

Unfortunately the closest thing to Montreal will be next year's Presidents Cup. For Canadian fans, here's a list up the upcoming PGA Canadian Opens that have been confirmed:

2024: Hamilton
2025: Open (and I don't mean "Canadian Open"[
2026: Oakdale (Go Nick!)
2027: See 2025

THat's right folks-only 2 of the next 4 years have been confirmed-and guess where? Compare that to the future US Open sites (or better yet don't).

Remember that when Glen Abbey was built it was intended to be the permanent home of the Canadian Open (like "Augusta North"). I've talked about he "Adventures of Glen Abbey" in another thread. Guess what-Golf Canada has found a new home at Osprey Valley, home of the new TPC Toronto, featuring 3 courses. I wouldn't bet the house but I'm guessing that those 2 open dates are anout to be filled. It's in a place called Caledon-I'm guessing that you don't need a map, do you!

https://scoregolf.com/news-story/tpc-to ... r's%20host.

But take a look at this linki that shows some Canadian courses that are or have been or will be extended to 7,000 yards. There are some very well-known names...and something else that you'll recognize.
Note that Islington isn't on the list and Shaughnessy will be looking for a new home in 10 years

https://beyondthecontour.com/the-rollba ... n-edition/

And here's somebody's "wish List" which (unfortunately) is little more than that-although

https://beyondthecontour.com/a-hypothet ... en-venues/

When the Open is held outside of the GTA it apparently doesn't make enough money either for the Golf Canada or apparently RBC-even when we're talking about Vancouver or Montreal (not to mention Alberta).

Like I said earlier IN THE ENRITE HISTORY OF THE CANADIAN OPEN ONLY NINE courses outside the GTA have hosted the Open:
1904, 1908, 1913, 1926, 1950-Royal Montreal, Quebec
1906, 1911-Royal Ottawa, Same as Rivermead, Gatineau, Quebec
1920-Rivermead, Gatineau, Quebec (actually just across the river from Ottawa)
1922, 1924-Mount Bruno, Quebec
1929-Kanaqui Golf Club (near Montreal)
1932-Ottawa Hunt Club
1939 Riversise Country Club, St. John, New Brunswick (Atlantic Canada
1946, 1956-Beaconsfield (near Montreal)
1948, 2011-Shughnessy, Vancouver, BC
1952-St. Chales, Winnipeg, Mb.
1967-Montreal Municipal
1964-Pine Grove, St. Luc, Que.
1962, Laval Sur le Lac, Quebec
1961, Niakawa, Winnipeg, Mb
1958-Royal Mayfair, Edmonton, Alta.
1959-Islesmers, Montreal, Que.
1954-Point Grey, Vancouver, BC
1976- Essex, Windsor
1970- London Hunt Club
1957-Westmount, Kitchener
1972-Cherry Hill, Ridgeway,

New Brunswick-1
Quebec (not counting Ottawa)- 8
Ontario (outside GTA)-7
Manitoba-1
Alberta 1
BC-3

EVERYTHING ELSE IS IN THE GREATER TORONTO AREA-STARTING IN TORONTO AND ENDING IN HAMILTON!
Bob Weeks and I used to be in the same business (more curling than golf) but I’m going to try to get his opinion. Granted, there are some great courses that aren’t close to major urban centres, but you can make the same argument about a lot of major US courses. With RBC sponsoring the Canadian Open (and Golf Canada), as well as Harbour Town, one would think that they wouldn’t mind moving it around.

Compare that to what CP has done with the LPGA;

Without going course, here’s a geographical breakdown, STARTING IN 1973:

BC: 4 plus Shughnessy this year
Alberta: 6 plus Earl Grey in Calgary next year
Saskatchewan 1
Manitoba: 2
Ontario (NI GTA): 9
GTA: 9
Quebec: 13
Nova Scotia: 1

While still favouring Ontario-there’s a 50-50 split (most of the Toronto ones were at St. George’s) and Montreal, there is still a greater exposure in the west, while Atlantic Canada has received one of each. One could argue that the CP (now CPKC) Open is more of a “national” open with being a much younger tournament (BTW, it was named the LPGA Tournament of the Year last year).

Golf Canada might argue that they don’t have long-term sponsorships but that shouldn’t at least booking futures…the sponsors that they have now have much to gain (especially RBC) by going long-term and CPKC, which was originally just CP now owns rail lines extending to Mexico.

One last point-in order to facilitate getting players to come to the Canadian Open the week before the US Open, it might be a good ideato at least play in the same time zone. The USGA has seemed to be able to plan a long-term future foe their Open.

Well, there's my 2 cents (Canadian) and I'm open co your comments for and against and regardless of nationality.

In the meantime I'm going back to do my nitpick of LACC. :naughty:
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

I have to retort...............It was NOT the US that said "It's all about the Benjamins".
It was a to remain nameless, well I can not think of a proper name on the forum to call "her".

Sage....... :mad:
If there is one thing ................ummmmmmmm.......I can't remember.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

No problem...but especially when dealing with the Open and Golf Canada. They're "scared poopless" to move anywhere...and it's a pisser.
The US Open gets more than enough (I like the split screen during the commercials-it's been used elsewhere but really works for golf).
My main point is that the least that Golf Canada could at least look at the bloody time zone-especually if the legendary courses are looking to get to 7,000 yards....
...which would mean that Banff...😃

...anyway, I've made my Canadian rant for now.
Back to my "real job"
...if you know what I mean (and I think you do...) :rofl: