new install

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
nickpasich

new install

Post by nickpasich »

I couldn't find my old Links CD's so I bought some on line. First off, I dont know if I should have bought Links 2001 or 2003. I bought 2001 and am having trouble getting it to install.

It asks me to install it as administrator and I am the admin. So, I dont know what the issue is. Should I have bought 2003 to be more compatible with this site?
pmgolf

Re: new install

Post by pmgolf »

Links 2001? Why would you want that? The '90's happened a long time ago. That's pretty much the original version of Links - slow/moderate/fast conditions. This is what most people get: the one that can be updated to the newest version - 1.07. (and right-click on the installation .exe and select "Run as an Administrator". That's what they were talking about.)

https://www.linkscountryclub.com/prosho ... ad-version

$6.99
nickpasich

Post by nickpasich »

well to answer your question, I had forgotten about the availability of what was for purchase. So i bought and installed the game, played a few holes and was wondering what screen rendering setting most people use?

Thanks
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Sorry, I thought you were a complete newbie. I use the native resolution for my monitor: 1920 x 1080. That's my new monitor - the last one I used had a native resolution of 1650 x 1080. Run the nVidia patch, even if you don't have a nVidia video card. It will give you widescreen (16 x 9) instead of the old 4 x 3. One place that has it is the LinksCountryClub.com site. Put it in your /Links 2003/ folder and double-click the .EXE. If you have trouble getting the resolution you want (1920 x 1080 is max) I have the registry settings. Just ask!

Pete
nickpasich

Post by nickpasich »

Actually I started playing this game back when Access software owned it and the courses were released occasionally for 21.95 and they came on 3.5 in floppies. I have gone through the procedure of loading this a few times but when I step away for a year or so, I cant recall what I did. LOL
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

nickpasich wrote: March 14th, 2023, 4:05 pm Actually I started playing this game back when Access software owned it and the courses were released occasionally for 21.95 and they came on 3.5 in floppies. I have gone through the procedure of loading this a few times but when I step away for a year or so, I cant recall what I did. LOL
Hi Nick-you have to take a number to make that comment! :rofl:
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Jimbo wrote: March 16th, 2023, 12:41 am
nickpasich wrote: March 14th, 2023, 4:05 pm Actually I started playing this game back when Access software owned it and the courses were released occasionally for 21.95 and they came on 3.5 in floppies. I have gone through the procedure of loading this a few times but when I step away for a year or so, I cant recall what I did. LOL
Hi Nick-you have to take a number to make that comment! :rofl:
Anyone want to buy "Links, the Challenge of Golf" on floppies? Or perhaps the first release of Pebble Beach on floppies? :whistle:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Surprised i found I had a floppy last night...age related.....nothing to ashamed of I guess....glad I'm not alone....hehehe
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Nick-you'll have to confirm that you ate the administrator (I've had to reinstall a couple of times.
-but if I can suggest, 2K3 gives you access to lots of more courses and other stuff. It,'s available on the website
Just remember to download the patch. Also there are some sky and other settings that can freeze things and force another
reinstall...it's a bit of a bitch.
But trust me.👍