App for Viewing .Sky Files

Share your designing tips with other Designer's. Find answers to your problems using the APCD.
chad

App for Viewing .Sky Files

Post by chad »

Does anyone have an app suggestion for viewing .sky files? I use Image Glass to view pano's, but it does not support .sky
I tried converting the .sky file to .tga, but that didn't work. :helpsmilie:
chad

Re: App for Viewing .Sky Files

Post by chad »

I even tried GIMP and it doesn't recognize the file type. MS Edge, MS Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Paint and Paint 3d also wont open these files. Somehow over the years I've collected 367 sky files and would like to view them outside of Links to see which ones are dupes.

Does anyone know of a Windows program that will allow .sky files to be viewable outside of Links? :helpsmilie:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

I dont have it, but Im pretty sure there is some form of sky editor program, I've been thinking about asking Daniel or Lez about it, they ought to have it since they've both created sky files, but I've never gotten around to it so far. Hopefully one of them sees this thread.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I use Photoshop to make the skies they are 4800x320 TGA files, but once I have converted them to sky.files using the Links Extender I can not see them as sky. There is an option in the Links Extender to convert sky.files back to tga.files but it has never worked for me. Saying all this, yes there is a program that opens them it is called Links 2003 lol.
chad

Post by chad »

Thanks Daniel. Links only allow you to view one sky at a time. Since I have 367 sky files, it would be much easier to view the files outside of the game to organize the library that I have. I appreciate your chiming in and for your pano and sky contributions as well. :smile:
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I did not explain correctly what you need to do in Photoshop, you make your sky 4800x320 then reduce it to 512x35 or 512x34 I forgot lol that long since I made a sky, save it has a sky.prv.tga file to your desktop then go to the edit button in Photoshop and click the step backward till you have the full-size 4800x320 back in Photoshop then save the 4800x320 tga.file to your desktop so you have two files that you work with in the Links Extender. If it helps any of you here are 50 of my skies with the 512x35 prv.tga and the original 4800x320 plus the sky.file.
https://www.tigercats-golf.club/files/skyfiles.zip
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Ah, I naively thought there was some easier way, should've realized this is Links and Microsoft we're talking about lol. Guess we should be happy skies can be created at all, the Links Extender help file (found in the Program Files (x86) > Links Extender V2 directory after install) gives some clues too, and mentions that it was only one of the Links updates that made it possible to use custom skies. It also seems to say you need to flip the TGA in Links Extender first for some reason.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
chad

Post by chad »

I appreciate the files and the info, thanks! :cheers1: