Windows 11 Install

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
pmgolf

Re: Windows 11 Install

Post by pmgolf »

gre81 wrote: May 27th, 2023, 7:15 am I tried 32 bit and it made it worse. As far as the file I mentioned it was the only one there and it was not a exe file. The first time I installed game I did the game first, then patch, and then the nvidia patch. I am not home right now but I can post specs for computer later.
1. In what way did 32 bit make it worse?
2. The dgv2d2Cpl.conf (2's substituted for the correct letters - you don't need to spell it out, we all know what you're talking about, and spelling it out does something like allowing google-search to pick up mention of the program) is some kind of configuration file.
3. Re-installing isn't going to fix this problem. More than that will need to be done.

Is the problem actually that you don't exactly know how to do the v2-d2 thing? I've never done it so I probably would have trouble doing it too. Adelade knows what he's doing, however, but if you don't want to put forth the effort it is certainly understandable. The easiest way to get Links running is to get a PC that's running Windows 7 or 8, or even XP. There are probably a lot of them around that people don't use, so get creative, ask around, and you can probably find one for pretty cheap.

Pete
Boot

Post by Boot »

pmgolf wrote: May 28th, 2023, 1:48 am The easiest way to get Links running is to get a PC that's running Windows 7 or 8, or even XP.
That's a change of tune after you all said there are no problems with Win 11 and I'm just trolling. :rofl:
dko

Post by dko »

gre81,

I went the Andyhope route as Ian Wells suggested to you earlier and the game has been chugging along since then. I have Windows 11 but my Intel version is only gen 10, while yours is gen 12. Don't know if that makes a difference as I'm not a computer expert.

I just looked at the direct3dfix folder on my computer, and also did not see the executable for the dg file there. However, in my OS directory I did see a dg________2_78 folder, which is where I found the .exe file. Take a look.
Doug
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Its been a long while since I had to set up the wrapper, but I tested the download the other day, the .exe file is included in the .zip file - try downloading it again.

Are there any graphical issues in the menus? Only after loading a course?

I, too, am curious in what way 32-bit made it worse.

You can take a screenshot with the print screen key, was that the method you tried before? A .bmp file appears automatically in the Links main folder when doing so.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

dko wrote
I have Windows 11 but my Intel version is only gen 10, while yours is gen 12. Don't know if that makes a difference as I'm not a computer expert.
I have Links running on Windows 11, 13th Generation, Intel with "digerydo", therefore I see no reason why it shouldn't work with gen 12, but, I know nothing about computers.

Ian
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Boot wrote: May 28th, 2023, 2:41 am
pmgolf wrote: May 28th, 2023, 1:48 am The easiest way to get Links running is to get a PC that's running Windows 7 or 8, or even XP.
That's a change of tune after you all said there are no problems with Win 11 and I'm just trolling. :rofl:
And here you are - trolling again! I never said there were no problems with Windows 11. I don't even have it! What I said and you quoted was what I've said all along - it's an old program, so get an old computer. A lot of people don't even try to sell their old computer - they just stick it in a closet. Ask around. Ask your friends and relatives. "Does anybody have an old computer they're not using?" You could always sweeten the deal with $50. :yes:

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

gre81 wrote: May 27th, 2023, 11:48 pm I did a clean install and still have the same issues. No idea what to do. :dunno:
Might try a search to see if anyone with a pavilion all-in-one has been successful. Not sure there are many success stories.
No matter where you go, there you are.
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey gre81 .....just a suggestion..... dl'd a win 10 iso image...install it as a dual boot option...issue solved...works perfectly on Win 10.... can't understand what all the fuss is about in relation to people trying/insisting ...,,mostly unsuccessfully of installing on Win 11...best of luck
Boot

Post by Boot »

pmgolf wrote: May 28th, 2023, 12:12 pm And here you are - trolling again! I never said there were no problems with Windows 11. I don't even have it! What I said and you quoted was what I've said all along - it's an old program, so get an old computer. A lot of people don't even try to sell their old computer - they just stick it in a closet. Ask around. Ask your friends and relatives. "Does anybody have an old computer they're not using?" You could always sweeten the deal with $50. :yes:

Pete
Unless you know someone they are not that cheap. Prices have gone up over the years due to retro gaming. Most people will need to move on and that means new PC and Win 11. You can only avoid it for so long or we'd all still be using Win 7 or Win XP.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Ian Wells wrote: May 28th, 2023, 9:21 am
I have Links running on Windows 11, 13th Generation, Intel with "digerydo", therefore I see no reason why it shouldn't work with gen 12, but, I know nothing about computers.

Ian
First I've seen someone with a Gen13 Intel running Links. That seems like a pretty new cpu.
No matter where you go, there you are.