Direct Connection stopped working since 15 Apr

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Andy
Site Admin

Direct Connection stopped working since 15 Apr

Post by Andy »

I went to play a friend today but we couldn't connect.

Anyone else notice any problems?
Andy
Site Admin

Re: Direct Connection stopped working since 15 Apr

Post by Andy »

Is there anyone here at LC who uses Direct Connection rather than Game Ranger?

If so, I would like to try connecting to see if it's a problem at my end.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

I was said friend - frustrating for us both :wallbash:

Hoping that someone else has experienced this and, more importantly found a fix. :cheers1:
jorson2

Post by jorson2 »

same here
wishing it can be fixed i use comcast and thinkin the mcafee is causing issue
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Andy-you're back!😄😄😄
Sandy_Trapp

Post by Sandy_Trapp »

jorson2 wrote: May 7th, 2022, 1:37 pm same here
wishing it can be fixed i use comcast and thinkin the mcafee is causing issue
I've had the same problem for some time now and have to use Game Ranger. Don't have McAFee. Turned off Norton, nothing helps...and I'm comcast, too.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Jimbo wrote: May 7th, 2022, 9:10 pm Andy-you're back!😄😄😄
Yes been a long time (assuming it is me you are referring to). Been playing (and still play PG) but still play maybe once a week with LC's manager on Links 2003. It is horrible to realise that I have forgotten how to play Links 2003 as well as I could in the day. It is a really slow process trying to remember how far the clubs go and how to hit those 3/4 shots! I still play RTS and still enjoy many aspects of Links 2003 since the gaffer Andy persuaded me to try Links again. :cheers1:

Re the problems we had, I suspect it was a change of AV provider that has caused the problem. Originally I was using BitDefender (free) without isssue until late 2021 when it was pulled. I reverted to Kaspersky (free) before the invasion and went to Avast. And I think that is when the problems started. I was getting an error message along the lines of (NAT Cone Router etc etc) whenever I used GameRanger to connect. Direct Connection (the faultless method of connection for 19 years) had failed in April and GameRanger was no better at connecting since that date. Ironically my original AV provider (BitDefender Free which caused no issues at Direct Connection) have resurrected its free version again in March 2022 (called Bitdefender Antivirus Free) and that is what I am using once again. Am hoping that once I stress test it again I will be able to connect online again (either through Direct Connection or Through GameRanger).
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Like other antivirus software Avast free can sometimes be hard to remove from your Computer, so like other antivirus software they have a removal tool to remove it completely here is a link to the page that could help you.
https://www.avast.com/en-gb/uninstall-utility#pc
I hope this helps you to get Links running again in direct connection.Daniel
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

Pleased to report that Andy and I were able today to connect via Direct Connection or via GameRanger without issue. :thumbup:

Possibly it all hinged on the Firewall included with Avast Essential disabling the Windows Defender Firewall that I would have had running prior to Avast's installation. Even so, I had to go into the Windows Defender Firewall settings today as it had been re-enabled with the removal of Avast and the installation of BitDefender. There were several entries for Links 2003 (and all my other games) but Links was blocked. So 'Block the Connection' was changed for Links 2003 on the advanced settings to 'Allow the Connection'. Possibly there may have been a way of altering the settings within Avast but I shall never know. All I can say is that I got it working again by reinstalling BitDefender and then a slight change on the Windows Defender Firewall.

GameRanger also worked flawlessly as well although that application was set to 'Allow my connection'. :cheers1: