A New Computer!!!!! But there are problems......

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
brooks2345

A New Computer!!!!! But there are problems......

Post by brooks2345 »

Hi All

After 17 years, I decided to get a new computer. The old one, I had when I retired in 2007, so there was Word 97, Excel 97, Adobe version 7 and an email that Noah would have been proud of! The new one measures 10 " by 6" and is wafer thin and goes at light speed. The old one was about 2ft square and steam-driven.

Well, eventually I got everything working.........just about - Word and Excel 2019 and Adobe 2020 took a bit of getting used to, and the email, well I had to learn from new. Luckily, my Payroll and Windows software had been regularly updated, so no real problem.

I also had Links 2003...........

Eventually I got it started, but with three major drawbacks:-
1. I keep getting a message to upgrade to version 1.07 - I thought I did this years ago.
2. The software demanded a new player with PHOTO. Luckily a Linkster has uploaded a load of player PGA Tour photos, so my picture is that of Nick Faldo! Problem solved, but I'd prefer my own photo, but can't seem to download it (it's either too big or the measurements are wrong).
3. The sky has suddenly decided to go AWOL - all I now get is a load of Links wallpaper.

Any advice??

Cheers

John Brooks :sad: :wallbash: :helpsmilie:
brooks2345

Re: A New Computer!!!!! But there are problems......

Post by brooks2345 »

Thanks to Andy and whoever it was who gave him Direect3Dfix.zip who pointed me in the right direction, I've now got my sky back! Problem is, the new dgvoodooCpl app works well in practice mode, but for some reason, it doesn't work in the real game. My top cam (top right of screen) still isn't registering either yardages or ball locations. In addition, my screen is giving extra wide characters no matter what combination of screen sizes and bits I use.

Never mind, keep taking the medicine!!!

John Brooks :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
dko

Post by dko »

Don't know if it will help, but did you try to change your compatibility settings? Right click on the Links shortcut icon, select properties, go to compatibility mode and select Windows 7 from the dropdown list. Then just below it, check the box next to "run this program as administrator." See if that helps.

Just wondering, which .dll files did you copy from direct3dfix, and where did you put them?
Doug
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

Thanks Doug . Tried that but still no joy. Downloaded all the DLLs from Direct3Dfix.zip on folder x86 and ran the Voodoo app. Didn't try the "glide" DLLs.

Strange thing is, when I go to Graphics 16-bit, I get a perfect Window all the right size, but really tiny, which is obviously wrong. Also, everything in he game program works perfectly in practice mode but not in "play game" mode. It's got to be something to do with the intel Graphics card.

Strange,

I'll keep trying.

Cheers and thanks

John Brooks
morvio100

Post by morvio100 »

Hey, hope this helps fire up Regedit browse to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\DisplaySettings make sure device value is set to 1, and the mode value is set to 14, when running the voodoo 3d software set the the res to 1920 by 1080- under the Nglide tab , and set the res to max under the DirectX tab, let the software store the voodoo.cnfg
file in the folder you extracted Voodoo to, avoid directing the voodoo software to the Links folder as you may run into probs, it will probably take a bit of tinkering around with the Voodoo software, but you'll get there...... :thumbup:
dko

Post by dko »

Mark, I went through a fair amount of pain trying to get Links going on a new Dell desktop running Windows 11 and with Intel graphics, especially since I'm not very technically oriented. However, with a lot of help I finally achieved success, the only exception being that my green analyzer flakes out (but I have never used it anyway).

Please do me a favor and look down a few posts at one that I initiated titled "Links won't launch on new device." Start on page 7 and see if there are any suggestions that could help. Also, did you try going to 32-bit resolution?
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Do you know the exact model of the computer you have or a link to it on a website?
Does it have Windows 11?
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I noticed you say you are in 16bit mode I thought the best was in 32bit mode. You can change to 32bit mode in the registry.
32bit copy.jpg
32bit copy.jpg (258.44 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
brooks2345

Post by brooks2345 »

HI All

Thanks for advice, will look at it tomorrow.

I made a temporary fix by going back to settings/system/display and setting it to 1024 x 768 32 bit on both the computer and game, which at least changed my pokey little screen window back to normal size. But it also means that's my screen size for everything else!

However, that doesn't get round the problem on the play golf / new round (rather than practice) od no grid anywhere and no recognition in my top right box of yardages / pointers etc.

And, yep, I too have a Dell with Intel and windows 11.

cheers and thanks again

John Brooks
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

brooks2345 wrote: April 24th, 2022, 11:32 pm And, yep, I too have a Dell with Intel and windows 11.
Which Intel?
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse