Golfer view with RTS

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
dko

Golfer view with RTS

Post by dko »

I just started experimenting with RTS and noticed that even though I've checked the "Show smart view" setting, that the view does not switch to the fairway landing view during the tee or other shots like it does with the Classic swing. Not a deal breaker, but I do like the dynamic view settings. Am I missing something? Is it just because I'm playing in practice mode (I don't want to mess with my stats just yet.)
Doug
Danny D

Re: Golfer view with RTS

Post by Danny D »

dko wrote: April 11th, 2022, 5:24 am I just started experimenting with RTS and noticed that even though I've checked the "Show smart view" setting, that the view does not switch to the fairway landing view during the tee or other shots like it does with the Classic swing. Not a deal breaker, but I do like the dynamic view settings. Am I missing something? Is it just because I'm playing in practice mode (I don't want to mess with my stats just yet.)
Create a practice player to test with. That won't harm your actual players stats. :smile:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
dko

Post by dko »

Thanks Dan. Still no fairway or green landing view in actual play.
Doug
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

dko wrote: April 11th, 2022, 7:11 am Thanks Dan. Still no fairway or green landing view in actual play.
I just tested it too, and it does the same as you described on yours, so it looks like it's just "the nature of the beast", so to speak. :dunno:

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

I haven't found any way to see the ball's landing area with RTS.

Pete
MrT

Post by MrT »

dko wrote: April 11th, 2022, 5:24 am I just started experimenting with RTS and noticed that even though I've checked the "Show smart view" setting, that the view does not switch to the fairway landing view during the tee or other shots like it does with the Classic swing. Not a deal breaker, but I do like the dynamic view settings. Am I missing something? Is it just because I'm playing in practice mode (I don't want to mess with my stats just yet.)
Unfortunately, in RTS, you are not allowed to see your ball landing. The only way is to play against an AI player in Classic Swing. So you will see his or her balls landing and rolling. You can use that to form an idea about the slope of greens, how fast they roll, etc. It is the best you can hope for. For whatever rationale, RTS cannot have that option. This question came up before and I tried every possible combination and permutation in views and Nope. I asked this question myself to more experienced players and they told me that much. Which I verified to be true, sadly.

The three most frustrating features in this game (which is otherwise "out of this world") are (this is the order of gripe they cause me, others may have different opinions):

1) cup placements which can ruin a game if one is playing with fast greens and, personally, I have better things to do than practicing the same course for a day to select the pins (which can still be wrong because it also depends from where you are hitting towards the cup).

2) not being able to see the topography of greens. I do not memorize the courses and do not take notes and it is not unusual that I land the shot 1 yard from the pin only to see the ball roll another 15-20 yards, even out of the greens. In addition, I have had many instances where all indicators say one thing and then the shot goes another way.

3) no landing view for RTS mode players. Which is strictly related to 2) for I could learn a lot from seeing how the ball land and roll

Nothing I can do. One morning I will wake up and decide that I am done.
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

A poor man's replacement is available in RTS.

In the Post Shot Selection screen select Instant Replay using Dynamic View.

postshot.jpg
postshot.jpg (49.35 KiB) Viewed 2032 times
MrT

Post by MrT »

I do that Andy, but it slows the game down considerably. But, you are right.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

All the years I've been playing, and I've never seen that, Andy! Thanks!

Pete
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im guessing that the reason dynamic view (the one that isnt for the replay) cannot be used with RTS, is because of RTS being the only swing type that combines the ... er... "gameplay" swing and the animation for the swing. With Classic and PowerStroke, the game has time to calculate what the shot will look like in between the "performance" and the shot visibly happening by the golfer model. With RTS, it all happens in real time, so there probably isnt enough juice in the program to be able to instantly render an extra viewpoint.

You can try the Green Analyzer tool, it slows the pace of the round down too, and for some users causes crashes now and then on some courses... but definitely worth checking out just in case you havent already. Forgot where exactly you access it, but it is in one menus at the bottom, and there might be a hotkey for it too.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...