Intel onboard graphics

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Pancho

Intel onboard graphics

Post by Pancho »

Friend has a new(ish) HP all-in-one Windows 10 pc with Intel UHD graphics 630 onboard running with August, 2019 drivers. There is no way to add a different video card. The game loads but soon therefater crashes no matter what resolution he uses. He has installed the nVidia patch after installing 1.07. I have been playing Links on my Win 7 pc with onboard Intel HD graphics 4000 for a decade using 2012 drivers. When I tried Win 10, the graphics problems with updated drivers that installed with every Windows update cycle caused me to give up. I see that Win 10 now offers the option to load older drivers and then prevent further automatic driver updates, but with the newer Intel gpu (630), my understanding is that the DCH drivers they now use are not compatible with their legacy drivers. So I don't think trying to install a driver set that came out before the gpu version was even invented will work for him. Has anyone had success running the game using an onboard Intel 630 gpu?
Danny D

Re: Intel onboard graphics

Post by Danny D »

Pancho wrote: March 19th, 2022, 8:14 pm Friend has a new(ish) HP all-in-one Windows 10 pc with Intel UHD graphics 630 onboard running with August, 2019 drivers. There is no way to add a different video card. The game loads but soon therefater crashes no matter what resolution he uses. He has installed the nVidia patch after installing 1.07. I have been playing Links on my Win 7 pc with onboard Intel HD graphics 4000 for a decade using 2012 drivers. When I tried Win 10, the graphics problems with updated drivers that installed with every Windows update cycle caused me to give up. I see that Win 10 now offers the option to load older drivers and then prevent further automatic driver updates, but with the newer Intel gpu (630), my understanding is that the DCH drivers they now use are not compatible with their legacy drivers. So I don't think trying to install a driver set that came out before the gpu version was even invented will work for him. Has anyone had success running the game using an onboard Intel 630 gpu?
I've not tried, but we have all come to learn that "Intel Integrated (on board) graphics" in either the motherboard or the CPU is Links' worst problem. Some users have found workarounds for it, and some users never can make it work. If the guys here can't help figure it out, then you may be out of luck.

Best wishes,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Pancho wrote: March 19th, 2022, 8:14 pm Has anyone had success running the game using an onboard Intel 630 gpu?
Yes, Links works.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Pancho

Post by Pancho »

Please be helpful and let us know what you did to make it work. Are you using the current drivers installed by Win 10? Did you install the nVidia fix and/or anything else? Thanks
dko

Post by dko »

There is a sticky post at the top of the forum (number three) that deals with this exact issue. It's what I used to get Links up and running, after several false starts, on a new Dell desktop (Windows 11) and Intel graphics (not the same spec as yours, but it may not matter.)
Doug