Game Ranger and Break Line Indicator

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Suemi

Game Ranger and Break Line Indicator

Post by Suemi »

Haven't been here in years, but really stumped so I thought I'd come plea for help from the experts!!

Trying to help a friend with an odd Links issue. He has Win 11. He's not able to connect person to person anymore (I've tried everything I know) which occurred prior to getting the new computer One day he could, next day he couldn't. But we can work around that by using Game Ranger. Annoying but doable considering this game still works at all after all these years!! HOWEVER, his break line indicator disappears when he uses Game Ranger. Works just fine if he plays alone. We have tried every single graphic option; we did the Nvidia fix even though he has a Gforce card; obviously I did the Video Card txt file to add his card. First I deleted his player, created new one. NADA Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. NADA

Ever hear of this one?? He's ready to pack it in after 23+ years of playing this stupid game. LOL
Danny D

Re: Game Ranger and Break Line Indicator

Post by Danny D »

Suemi wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 9:53 pm Haven't been here in years, but really stumped so I thought I'd come plea for help from the experts!!

Trying to help a friend with an odd Links issue. He has Win 11. He's not able to connect person to person anymore (I've tried everything I know) which occurred prior to getting the new computer One day he could, next day he couldn't. But we can work around that by using Game Ranger. Annoying but doable considering this game still works at all after all these years!! HOWEVER, his break line indicator disappears when he uses Game Ranger. Works just fine if he plays alone. We have tried every single graphic option; we did the Nvidia fix even though he has a Gforce card; obviously I did the Video Card txt file to add his card. First I deleted his player, created new one. NADA Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. NADA

Ever hear of this one?? He's ready to pack it in after 23+ years of playing this stupid game. LOL
Sorry, can't help you with the missing BLI, but for what it's worth, I've played the game as long as he has, and I never ever used the BLI. I don't even know how it works and have never tried to figure it out. :whistle: .

Tell him not to give up. With a little practice he can learn to play without it.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

Might try reinstalling Game Ranger.
After trying to read those lines for 7 years, I went to the BLI and never looked back. So much easier on the eyes.
Suemi

Post by Suemi »

Kunkleman wrote: March 4th, 2022, 11:15 am Might try reinstalling Game Ranger.
After trying to read those lines for 7 years, I went to the BLI and never looked back. So much easier on the eyes.
Exactly! After playing this game for 23++ years, he's not a young lad with good eyes. And it really seems like in the 2003 version (we started playing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before that version), those little lines on the grid are lighter and harder to see.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Suemi wrote: March 4th, 2022, 5:53 pm
Kunkleman wrote: March 4th, 2022, 11:15 am Might try reinstalling Game Ranger.
Exactly! After playing this game for 23++ years, he's not a young lad with good eyes. And it really seems like in the 2003 version (we started playing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before that version), those little lines on the grid are lighter and harder to see.
The yellow grid lines got harder to see when designers started making their own greens textures and used too much yellow in the color mix. The yellow tint in some courses got so strong that it became hard to see the grid lines. Some of them were so bad that my partner and I started deleting the courses that were like that.

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Make sure the BLI is actually activated for that specific Player of theirs within Links, you can toggle the BLI on or off in Edit Player, can be accessed from either various game modes' Player selection screens or at Options > Players. The person might have simply never ticked the box for the BLI when they made a new player.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Suemi

Post by Suemi »

Adelade wrote: March 5th, 2022, 8:49 am Make sure the BLI is actually activated for that specific Player of theirs within Links, you can toggle the BLI on or off in Edit Player, can be accessed from either various game modes' Player selection screens or at Options > Players. The person might have simply never ticked the box for the BLI when they made a new player.
thanks, but I ticked it myself :)
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

My BLI is what you might call a "bottle of liquid intelligence".😉
Even if you miss a 2 foot put you eventually don't care!
Just don't drive your car...