Can't Delete Human Player

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Bit Left

Can't Delete Human Player

Post by Bit Left »

I'm running Links 2003 / 1.07. Everything is wonderful except... When I navigate Options > Players > Select Player from the drop down list (the Human Player I created) > Delete (as the Help cue says "Remove the selected player from the player files") > Delete Confirmation "YES"/"NO" - initially, if I check the list again, that player is deleted from the Select Player drop down. Looks like it's worked.

I click OK to accept changes. But... 1) if I then immediately go back in to Select Player drop down my deleted player has reappeared. 2) same deal if I OK to accept changes and go straight over to New Round > Players in Game > there he is in the list. I've tried exiting Links after the Deletion/OK Accept stage, thinking that might consolidate the change. Go back in - nope, still in the list.

The player has data against him but not a full round. Am I missing something here or is this an issue? I searched Tech Corner before doing this write up - honest. :bookh: Thanks for any insights.
Andy
Site Admin

Re: Can't Delete Human Player

Post by Andy »

I just tried deleting a player and had the same issue you found.

I fixed it by going to the properties of the desktop shortcut for Links 2003 and in the compatibility tab tick Run this program as an administrator.

properties.jpg
properties.jpg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Hope this works for you.
Bit Left

Post by Bit Left »

Yay! It worked. One supposes I could have survived with the miscreant still on my Player list, but I'm sure - thanks entirely to you - he has gone to a better place. With a huge ovation of appreciation for everything you do. The support I've received from LC is second to none.

Supplementary question - any thoughts on whether it's ok to now proceed to run the program full time with the Admin box checked?

Cheers, Don
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Almost everyone runs Links like that, along with checking the box to make running Links compatible with Windows XP, which is located a couple of inches above that Administrator box. Both of those things make Links run better!

Pete
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Bit Left wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 3:55 pm Yay! It worked. One supposes I could have survived with the miscreant still on my Player list, but I'm sure - thanks entirely to you - he has gone to a better place. With a huge ovation of appreciation for everything you do. The support I've received from LC is second to none.

Supplementary question - any thoughts on whether it's ok to now proceed to run the program full time with the Admin box checked?

Cheers, Don
Actually, in my case I had to go back to not ticking the Admin box as all my courses apart from Skeleton Coast and the driving range were not available any more. Probably because they were added in non-admin mode. No big deal for me to run in non-admin unless I ever want to delete a player again. :thumbup: