Rendering Issues / Freezing Up

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Still Linksing

Re: Rendering Issues / Freezing Up

Post by Still Linksing »

snavarro717 wrote: February 9th, 2022, 5:56 am Thank you for all of the suggestions, but unfortunately, nothing has worked so far. I am going to keep fiddling with it and let you know if I find the solution.

Steve
Not surprised. Try the suggestions posted here by others but from what I have now seen from other games, there likely are no fixes.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
snavarro717

Post by snavarro717 »

Adelade wrote: February 9th, 2022, 10:21 am Not a solution, but likely workaround:

If some courses load fine but other larger courses do not, there is a significant chance that the larger ones will load and play if you lower your "picture quality" setting within Links' graphics settings before opening those courses - unless you already are at lowest that is.
Thank you Adelade, this seems to have worked so far! The HD courses I was having issues with now are loading fine and not crashing the program. All except for Chamber Bay 2021. That one won't even load before crashing. I'll keep tweaking settings, but I may have a work around for the time being.

Steve
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

snavarro717 wrote: February 9th, 2022, 7:25 pm
Adelade wrote: February 9th, 2022, 10:21 am Not a solution, but likely workaround:

If some courses load fine but other larger courses do not, there is a significant chance that the larger ones will load and play if you lower your "picture quality" setting within Links' graphics settings before opening those courses - unless you already are at lowest that is.
Thank you Adelade, this seems to have worked so far! The HD courses I was having issues with now are loading fine and not crashing the program. All except for Chamber Bay 2021. That one won't even load before crashing. I'll keep tweaking settings, but I may have a work around for the time being.

Steve
How much did you have to lower the quality settings?

Check this is off and tell me if there is any difference.

https://stealthoptional.com/how-to/wind ... indows-11/
Golf Sim Clubhouse
snavarro717

Post by snavarro717 »

Still Linksing wrote: February 9th, 2022, 9:16 pm

Steve

I moved the slider from the far right down to the third tick from the left. I turned off VBS but saw no difference in trying to load Chambers. So far it is the only course that crashed on me.

Thanks again for looking into this. I am just getting back into Links after a couple of years away and this is another reminder of why I love the community and the game.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

snavarro717 wrote: February 9th, 2022, 9:51 pm
Still Linksing wrote: February 9th, 2022, 9:16 pm

Steve

I moved the slider from the far right down to the third tick from the left. I turned off VBS but saw no difference in trying to load Chambers. So far it is the only course that crashed on me.

Thanks again for looking into this. I am just getting back into Links after a couple of years away and this is another reminder of why I love the community and the game.
Ok, no worries. Testing a few things with other users from other games and will go from there. I have a good idea where the issue is. Won't be any immediate fix but at least you have a workaround for now. :thumbup:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

snavarro717 wrote: February 9th, 2022, 9:51 pm
I moved the slider from the far right down to the third tick from the left.
Be advised that by moving the slider back, you will be eliminating some of the distant graphics. You have actually reduced the viewing distance of background images, such as trees and other objects. You may notice that there are missing trees in the background, or up on hills in the distance. Don't be concerned that you might have a graphics problem. That is a normal function of that graphics slider. The further you move it to the left, the less objects it will render in the distance. The game will load less graphics, so it makes the rendering faster.

Good luck,

Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

snavarro717 wrote: February 9th, 2022, 7:25 pmAll except for Chamber Bay 2021. That one won't even load before crashing.
Do you get any error/crash message? Or does Links simply shut down during the splash screen rendering before the first hole? - and if so, is it during the shadow rendering?

If wanting to try find out more about the issue on that course, you could check if the course loads in practice mode on only hole 12 or 17 (should be the easiest holes for the game to load). If that works, try opening the course normally again after that. One time, I was unable to open a specific course until I did something similar... it was very odd.

Have you tried if the Chambers Bay version from 2020 works?

If anyone else is also unable to open Chambers Bay 2021 please let me know.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
snavarro717

Post by snavarro717 »

Adelade wrote: February 10th, 2022, 10:34 am
snavarro717 wrote: February 9th, 2022, 7:25 pmAll except for Chamber Bay 2021. That one won't even load before crashing.
Do you get any error/crash message? Or does Links simply shut down during the splash screen rendering before the first hole? - and if so, is it during the shadow rendering?

If wanting to try find out more about the issue on that course, you could check if the course loads in practice mode on only hole 12 or 17 (should be the easiest holes for the game to load). If that works, try opening the course normally again after that. One time, I was unable to open a specific course until I did something similar... it was very odd.

Have you tried if the Chambers Bay version from 2020 works?

If anyone else is also unable to open Chambers Bay 2021 please let me know.
No error or crash message. It just shuts down during the splash screen. It usually happens when the progress bar gets to 100% and then a "Rendering" message pops up. That's when it crashes.

I was able to play hole 12 in practice mode several times with no issues. Hole 17 in practice mode loaded fine and I was able to tee off but when I hit continue to move to the next scene, I got the rendering message and then it crashed again and shut down back to the Windows desktop.

I then tried loading a normal game again and same crash/shut down.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

At some point I will likely be posting a fix for Gen 12 Intel graphics. I'll let you know if I do but it won't be posted on Links Corner. I'm not posting any more fixes on this site. All Links related stuff I'm involved with will be available elsewhere in time.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Kunkleman

Post by Kunkleman »

Why do we keep losing people who are willing to offer their time and talent to help others??? :dunno: