Links won't launch on new device

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
dko

Links won't launch on new device

Post by dko »

I just purchased Links and tried to load it on a Microsoft Surface Pro X running Windows 11 Home. After loading, I clicked on the shortcut link and nothing happens. Can anyone offer help or advice?
Doug
dko

Re: Links won't launch on new device

Post by dko »

I read through the sticky note "Links 2003 and Links 2001 won't launch" and tried the solution suggested by pmgolf. It looked a bit more promising until I got the message "Cannot find Language.dll in w:\program\assets\binaries or w:, this file is required." I don't have anything plugged into the USB ports and don't have an active printer or headphones. Why would it be looking for that file in a w: drive when it's already in the correct folder in the C: drive?
Doug
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Sorry Doug - I'm not familiar with the MS Surface Pro X. Does anyone know if Links will work on one? :bookh:

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

pmgolf wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 11:55 am Sorry Doug - I'm not familiar with the MS Surface Pro X. Does anyone know if Links will work on one? :bookh:

Pete
Yes it will
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

In what folder did you install Links? If you try a complete reinstall in a different location than the default one, it might possibly change something?

I would also try launching the game from both LinksLauncher and LinksMMIII (both found within the main Links folder) and running as administrator (normally found within the compatibility settings or by right clicking the launching file).
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
dko

Post by dko »

I very much appreciate your responses and am somewhat encouraged by Still Linksing saying the game will work on my machine. I just need to find the magic button(s).

Per the instructions from Pete in response to another user's issues, I went to compatibility mode and changed to a target of Links Launcher, clicked on Run as Administrator and changed to run in compatibility mode for XP SP 2. The other modes all gave me the error message about the missing file in w:\ drive but XP didn't. However, after looking like it might launch, it either hangs or crashes.

I'd been playing Links almost nightly since I retired many moons ago before my (very old) desktop running Vista finally went down for good recently. Guess I'll just keep plugging away.
Doug
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Have you looked at Programs and features and turned on the Windows feature Direct Play in the Legacy Components Folder. Links or any other game will not play if this is not ticked.
dko

Post by dko »

Thanks Daniel. Yes, Legacy Components and Direct Play are checked. Still won't work.
Doug
dko

Post by dko »

I should add that whatever I know about Windows (which isn't much) came with using Vista for too many years. So I am in essence a cave man when it comes to the current version.

After receiving Daniel's suggestion, it took a lot of searching before I could even find what he was talking about, but I finally got there.

I'm not giving up, just wanted any potential helpers to know what they're dealing with and that I certainly appreciate your contributions.
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Set your LinksMMIII.exe in your Links folder to Win 7 compatibility.
In the same area you set compatibility you should see you have a high DPI scaling override. Check the box and set it for application.
Tell me what happens from this point.

You can also try Win XP compatibility mode but use Win 7 first.
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse