Links won't launch on new device

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Titus

Re: Links won't launch on new device

Post by Titus »

Hi Dan
and thanks for the tip.
I downloaded the DirectX9 runtime program and installed.
Unfortunately, Links2003 doesn't react to it, you don't see any either
Error message more, unfortunately the start is empty.
Can you do something wrong there?
I will reinstall Links2003 later.
SimonAlberta

Post by SimonAlberta »

Hah...I just posted on another thread that I haven't ever seen anyone mentioning the Legacy Components solution and here it is in this thread making me out a liar. Hmmph!

Seriously, aside from installing the upgrade patches, that is the only tweak I need to make and Links runs smoothly right away.

Of course, just for fun it occasionally throws up an issue but you can't have it all your own way, right?
dsmithqld

Post by dsmithqld »

Anyone found a way to run Links 2003 on Intel 12th & 13th gen CPUs yet?

I've been testing out the modern Golf titles lately but they're mostly awful and seem underfunded and underdeveloped.
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

dsmithqld wrote: November 29th, 2022, 2:02 am Anyone found a way to run Links 2003 on Intel 12th & 13th gen CPUs yet?

I've been testing out the modern Golf titles lately but they're mostly awful and seem underfunded and underdeveloped.
Have you had any luck?
No matter where you go, there you are.
dsmithqld

Post by dsmithqld »

Not really. It works sometimes if you're patient but most of the time, it just crashes. I haven't seen any problems with any modern Ryzen CPU.
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

dsmithqld wrote: November 29th, 2022, 2:02 am Anyone found a way to run Links 2003 on Intel 12th & 13th gen CPUs yet?
Well, I finally talked myself into blowing some of children's inheritance. :laugh: I ordered what most likely will be my last computer. My existing ASUS Striker II Formula system that I built in 2008 has finally reached it's limits. I have the hardware maxed out (CPU, RAM, GPU) etc., but with today's streaming speeds and video, it's being pushed beyond its limits. The CPU maxes out and the video stutters and stalls when I try to stream any HD graphics. I'll still use it for everything Links and APCD related, because they run perfect on it, but I want a new system for video streaming and gaming. I splurged a bit and got something that should hopefully last a while.

VR Ready Gaming Desktop
CPU - intel 12th i7 12700KF (12 Core 3.8GHz up to 4.9GHz)
GPU - GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
SSD - 1TB SSD NVMe
RAM - 32GB(16GB*2) 3200MHz
MB - Asus Z690 Motherboard
WiFi - WIFI 6
OS - Windows 11 home

Just for grins I will attempt to install Links on it and let everyone know if I have any luck. I ordered it from Newegg.com and It should arrive in about a week.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Titus

Post by Titus »

Danny D wrote: March 13th, 2023, 11:38 pm
VR Ready Gaming Desktop
SSD - 1TB SSD NVMe
WiFi - WIFI 6
OS - Windows 11 home

Just for grins I will attempt to install Links on it and let everyone know if I have any luck. I ordered it from Newegg.com and It should arrive in about a week.

hi Danny,

It's a pity that you have already ordered, but maybe this company can still change something.

if you don't want to overclock your new pc,
the intel i7-12700
would be better, probably cheaper and it has an iGPU, which is always good if the GPU is struggling.

A B660 board with DDR4 RAM would also be sufficient for the MB.

For the GPU, an RTX 3060Ti 8GB would be the better choice, which is almost as fast and is a lot cheaper.

Titus
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Titus wrote: March 14th, 2023, 11:25 am
Danny D wrote: March 13th, 2023, 11:38 pm
VR Ready Gaming Desktop
SSD - 1TB SSD NVMe
WiFi - WIFI 6
OS - Windows 11 home

hi Danny,

It's a pity that you have already ordered, but maybe this company can still change something.

if you don't want to overclock your new pc,
the intel i7-12700
would be better, probably cheaper and it has an iGPU, which is always good if the GPU is struggling.

A B660 board with DDR4 RAM would also be sufficient for the MB.

For the GPU, an RTX 3060Ti 8GB would be the better choice, which is almost as fast and is a lot cheaper.

Titus
Thanks for the tips Titus, but the one I bought was a pre-build and I did not look for an option to change any of the parts. I'm not into overclocking or super high end speeds, so It will be more than enough computer to suit my needs and should last me the rest of my life. I'm not really into the high-end graphic intense games, so this one looked pretty good as is. I looked at a few reviews on this specific build and it got really high marks. At age 75 and with the health issues I'm having, I'm just not up to building a new machine nowadays. :ill:
Thanks for the tips though. Always appreciated. :tiphat:

:cheers1: Dan
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hi Dan, have you tried installing Links2K3 on your new machine yet?
Boot

Post by Boot »

Titus wrote: April 21st, 2023, 4:40 am Hi Dan, have you tried installing Links2K3 on your new machine yet?
I am waiting for this as well. I'm expecting it will fail to work on his PC. If it works, I will eat my words and I hope the 3 so happily attacking me eat theirs if it doesn't.