Links won't launch on new device

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Still Linksing

Re: Links won't launch on new device

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: March 10th, 2022, 7:52 am Still Linksing, I really need your help (again). I found a post suggesting settings for dgvoodoo2 and tried to run it. My antivirus blocked it! So I'm stuck with the messed up sky, greyed out pin settings and no view of the ball in the top camera.

Any suggestions?
Above the custom pins button that's greyed out, make sure you select "custom pins" in the pin position dropdown. You likely have this set to easy, moderate or hard. If this is the case, the custom pins button below will be greyed out.

I expected you may find issues without dgvoodoo. I don't think anyone can run Links without dgvoodoo if they have integrated graphics.
You will need to turn off your anti virus to allow you to set up dgvoodoo. It is completely safe. Follow the instructions in the sticky on this forum. There is also a link to a screenshot showing what settings to use for dgvoodoo. You open dgvoodooCpl.exe to make the settings changes in the screenshot. Once done your Links should work fine and you can turn your antivirus back on. :thumbup:
For all the old golf games visit:
Golf Sim Clubhouse
dko

Post by dko »

Thanks Still Linksing, the Custom Pins should have been a "duh" for me, but I had forgotten it.

I did disable my antivirus and was able to run dgvoodoo2 but wasn't getting anywhere. I then went back and read the sticky again and had ignored the step requiring getting the Direct3Dfix file and placing the dll's into the Links 2003 folder. After doing that, the skies are blue (or whatever) and the ball flight is visible in the top cam.

Here's hoping this is REALLY it!
Doug
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

dko wrote: March 10th, 2022, 10:39 am Thanks Still Linksing, the Custom Pins should have been a "duh" for me, but I had forgotten it.

I did disable my antivirus and was able to run dgvoodoo2 but wasn't getting anywhere. I then went back and read the sticky again and had ignored the step requiring getting the Direct3Dfix file and placing the dll's into the Links 2003 folder. After doing that, the skies are blue (or whatever) and the ball flight is visible in the top cam.

Here's hoping this is REALLY it!
Woohoo! I would say it is! :clapping:
You'll be totally set forever. Just remember what you need to do if you ever need to reinstall.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I now also have problems playing with Links2003 under Win10.

I used to play Links2003 with Win10 only with the Voodoo patch, but now that I've prepared my PC for Win11, the game no longer runs.
The changes were a new CPU, RAM and the mainboard.
I've really tried everything that has already been suggested here, but I've had no success.
E.g. admin rights, compatibility mode, with and without nvidia patch or VoodooPatch.

Out of sheer desperation I then built a second PC out of the old computer parts and now Links2003 is running again after many attempts with Voodoo.

new PC-1__________________________________old PC-2

CPU i7 12700_______________________________CPU i4790k
MB Asrock ProRS____________________________MB MSI Gaming5 Z97
RAM 32GB DDR4____________________________RAM 16GB DDR3
Win10 21H2________________________________Win10 21H2
Links2003 is not running :sad: _______________Links2003 is running :smile:

I even copied the complete game from the PC-2 to the PC-1, doesn't work either. I'm already glad that I can play Links2003 again,
but it's a bit cumbersome to always start the second PC first if you want to play a quick round.

Maybe someone here has a tip for me as to what else I could try.

This is how Links2003 looks after the start and no error message either!
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (111.25 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Since Intel has gravitated to onboard graphics with both Laptop and Desktop PC's, I resorted to a X470 motherboard and AMD processor for my desktop build, and bought a Laptop with an AMD processor for my traveling PC. Windows 10 for both - I want to play Links, I don't care squat about Windows 11. Absolutely no problems running Links! For me, AMD is the answer.

Pete
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

Titus wrote: March 10th, 2022, 1:36 pm Hello everyone,

Unfortunately I now also have problems playing with Links2003 under Win10.

I used to play Links2003 with Win10 only with the Voodoo patch, but now that I've prepared my PC for Win11, the game no longer runs.
The changes were a new CPU, RAM and the mainboard.
I've really tried everything that has already been suggested here, but I've had no success.
E.g. admin rights, compatibility mode, with and without nvidia patch or VoodooPatch.

Out of sheer desperation I then built a second PC out of the old computer parts and now Links2003 is running again after many attempts with Voodoo.

new PC-1__________________________________old PC-2

CPU i7 12700_______________________________CPU i4790k
MB Asrock ProRS____________________________MB MSI Gaming5 Z97
RAM 32GB DDR4____________________________RAM 16GB DDR3
Win10 21H2________________________________Win10 21H2
Links2003 is not running :sad: _______________Links2003 is running :smile:

I even copied the complete game from the PC-2 to the PC-1, doesn't work either. I'm already glad that I can play Links2003 again,
but it's a bit cumbersome to always start the second PC first if you want to play a quick round.

Maybe someone here has a tip for me as to what else I could try.

This is how Links2003 looks after the start and no error message either!

Unbenannt.PNG
I don’t think you will find a solution but I may be wrong. I’ll be working on this in the future but it’s not high on the priority list. Don’t have an appropriate PC to test anything on either.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Titus

Post by Titus »

Hi there,
and thanks for the info

I just don't understand it, because Links2003 was already running on both PCs, no matter which graphics card GTX980 or RTX3080.
And there are people who have had success playing links with an i7 12700k with Win10 or Win11.

I also compared the Voodoo config file of the two PCs, they are exactly the same.

At the weekend I will install the old GTX980 in the new PC or try it with the internal Intel® UHD graphics 770
try it, maybe that will help.
I could also try another monitor, I've seen problems there too, I'll keep fighting.
Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing »

You didn't mention you were running dedicated graphics cards.
Post back if you have any success.
Golf Sim Clubhouse
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Im no expert, but if you're looking for things to try:

Did you try launching the game from both LinksLauncher and LinksMMIII ?

I know you already said you tried compatibility settings but based on your picture it makes me vaguely guess that some of those might help. Unless you're certain you tried everything there, it could potentially be worth reviewing? Remember to try completely without any compatibility settings activated too.

If it was me, I might have tried the registry edit as well. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=478
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Titus

Post by Titus »

Still Linksing wrote: March 11th, 2022, 8:21 am You didn't mention you were running dedicated graphics cards.
Post back if you have any success.
Hi, maybe I expressed myself wrong.
I use the GTX980 and the RTX3080, both running Links2003.
I thought if I swapped out the graphics card at the weekend,
I could try it without a graphics card and use the CPU's graphics chip.

As I said, links used to run with both graphics cards.