Links won't launch on new device

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Titus

Re: Links won't launch on new device

Post by Titus »

:scared: oje, a Upps of Thailand
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Boot wrote: April 21st, 2023, 11:15 amI am waiting for this as well. I'm expecting it will fail to work on his PC. If it works, I will eat my words and I hope the 3 so happily attacking me eat theirs if it doesn't.
You're mistaking the questioning of your baseless "theory" as claims that every Win 11 system will launch Links at once without problems. There would be no words to eat up if it doesnt work.

Also, you wouldnt eat your words, you would pretend it didnt happen, like all the other times you were questioned and/or proved wrong. At best you'd disappear for a few months before coming back.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
Danny D

Post by Danny D »

Titus wrote: April 21st, 2023, 4:40 am Hi Dan, have you tried installing Links2K3 on your new machine yet?
Hi Titus.
I hope to set up the new computer this weekend. When I get it set up, I'll try to install Links on it and see what happens.

Dan :cheers1:
Completed Courses
Real Courses: The National Golf Club of Kansas City - Wakonda Club - Coeur d'Alene Resort Course
Fictitious Courses: Northern Lakes - Golfcom Tees
Southern Oaks - Hometown 9 hole real course with a fictitious back 9 added
Boot

Post by Boot »

Adelade wrote: April 21st, 2023, 4:55 pm
Boot wrote: April 21st, 2023, 11:15 amI am waiting for this as well. I'm expecting it will fail to work on his PC. If it works, I will eat my words and I hope the 3 so happily attacking me eat theirs if it doesn't.
Also, you wouldnt eat your words, you would pretend it didnt happen, like all the other times you were questioned and/or proved wrong.
All the times? Not one person has a new system with Windows 11 and is running the game.

Did you also happen to notice not one person can match the quality of my screenshot? You can't match it on a new or old PC, doesn't matter if you run Win XP/Vista/7/8/10 or 11.
That's because the patch makes Links look better than it ever has. I'll happily provide and match another screenshot of any hole on any course if someone wishes as a comparison.
The only thing I know of that the patch doesn't fix is anti-aliasing but I've been told this may be possible and may come in a later patch update.
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

Boot wrote
All the times? Not one person has a new system with Windows 11 and is running the game.
I am still learning how to use a computer, so almost all of the technical stuff goes over my head.
However during this long string of posts the only thing that stuck in my mind was "13 Gen" and Windows 11.

I recently bought a new computer for non-Links use and I thought I might try to install Links, to test the theory.
The spec of my computer is:
Hp compuer Spec.png
Hp compuer Spec.png (125.01 KiB) Viewed 3202 times
This is an Intel chip with no graphics card.

I downloaded the links from Links Country Club and tried to play golf. It opened but had a few graphic issues. I downloaded the Diggerydo thinkg according to the post of Andy, and it worked. (Without the opaque shadows, of course.)

As mentioned I an computer illiterate, so I may not be comparing 'apples with apples', I will leave that to the members who know what they are talking about.

If I am correct with my assumption then,

Boot
I'm expecting it will fail to work on his PC. If it works, I will eat my words and I hope the 3 so happily attacking me eat theirs if it doesn't.
Bon appetit.

If I am wrong, I'll put it down to my normal ignorance. :smile:

In
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Sorry to anyone who wishes I would just ignore him :smile: Like I said, personally Im not bothered by him, in fact, he gives me pleasant laughs on a regular basis.
Boot wrote: May 5th, 2023, 10:13 amAll the times? Not one person has a new system with Windows 11 and is running the game.
:laugh:
Did you also happen to notice not one person can match the quality of my screenshot? You can't match it on a new or old PC, doesn't matter if you run Win XP/Vista/7/8/10 or 11.
if you want to talk about graphics details, please go to the proper threads for it?
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Nice try Ian, but your mousepad unfortunately doesnt have the correct colour for this to qualify as a new system :nono:
Boot

Post by Boot »

Ian Wells wrote: May 5th, 2023, 12:31 pm If I am wrong, I'll put it down to my normal ignorance. :smile:
In
You have no graphics card so you can say goodbye to any Nvidia problems. As I have said, I am not an expert with PC's. If you run integrated graphics, may be certain CPU's that work, I don't know. So for those who like to pick at every little detail to attempt to demonstrate their superiority, I will clarify by suggesting I have not yet witnessed one PC with new hardware and with Nvidia card that works. I am not an expert, I don't know what causes the Links issues, I haven't fixed them myself. I have said I am yet to see a fully equipped PC that works with modern hardware.

Adelade, I looked at the age thread here and see you didn't post despite you being involved almost everywhere else. I'm starting to think from your behavior you are a child?
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Boot wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:06 amI'm starting to think from your behavior you are a child?
You are never too old to laugh, especially not when a funny person keeps banging on the door. Also, is this the 10th time you pull characteristics from your own mirror to use as throwable insults / accusations? I/we are, according to you, forgetful, bad at reading, blind, strange, acting like experts while lacking knowledge, bad at taking things in, acting superior, accusatory, keyboard warriors, idiotic, childish and finally (my personal favourite) obsessive :rofl:

I would normally feel bad about hinting that you are all those things, but you're the one who used those words about me/us first :laugh:

I really could just die from the hilarity of how a person like you, of all people, said those things of others.

I would also include ignorant, but of all your faults, I dont think you actually are that. I think you know full well what is going on, even if you perhaps are too stubborn to admit it to yourself.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Boot this is my system build.
SnapCrab_NoName_2023-5-6_12-15-8_No-00.png
SnapCrab_NoName_2023-5-6_12-15-8_No-00.png (42.55 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
This is Links 2003 without AA, YOU SEE THE JAGGED EDGES ON HILLSIDE ABOVE GOLFERS HEAD.
PIC1.png
PIC1.png (3.38 MiB) Viewed 3137 times
This is Links 2003 with AA.
PIC2.png
PIC2.png (1.74 MiB) Viewed 3137 times
My video card is an Nvidia Card with AA enabled.
pic3.png
pic3.png (36.69 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
These are my setting in the Nvidia Control Panel.
pic4.png
pic4.png (71.51 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
Now tell everyone again Links does not work on new computers or with Nvidia Graphics Cards.