IP to IP not working anymore

Having hardware or software problems related to Links? Other forum members may be able to help you here.
Sandy_Trapp

IP to IP not working anymore

Post by Sandy_Trapp »

After an update on my old computer, I could not connect IP to IP with others. Finally got a new computer, hoping it would take care of the problem, but no. Thank goodness for gameranger.
Not sure what I could do. I have ports forwarded and checked the firewalls. I can't connect or host. Even tried the DMZ (yes I had the correct internal IP for that).
I tried connecting to a friend and then tried pinging her address. It all timed out.
Am I overlooking something?
Andy
Site Admin

Re: IP to IP not working anymore

Post by Andy »

The only thing that occurs to me is, Direct Play needs to be enabled.
direct-play.jpg
direct-play.jpg (73.88 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
Sandy_Trapp

Post by Sandy_Trapp »

That is checked. Does the Telnet client have anything to do with IP to IP?
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

The only thing I can think of is when trying DMZ do you still have the ports open in Port Forwarding. If so take out the ports and just use the DMZ they do not work together. Another thing you could try is Port Triggers which I use instead of Port Forwarding. But has before do not have port Forwarding running as well. Something to watch out for is the last number of your Routers IPv4 address it should be the same in the DMZ or in the Port Forwarding. You do not need it in Port Triggers.
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

Sandy_Trapp wrote: January 11th, 2022, 2:35 am That is checked. Does the Telnet client have anything to do with IP to IP?
Not as far as I know.

Is your router set to assign an IP address to your new PCs MAC address and are you then using that IP in the port forwarding setup?

Can't think of anything else really. :dunno:
chad

Post by chad »

Since Windows 10, the two Links 2003 inbound firewall rules created at installation does not work for me. I have to setup two additional firewall rules to make Direct Connections work.
Attachments
UDP.png
UDP.png (18.6 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
TCP.png
TCP.png (18.16 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
Screenshot 2022-01-11 073534.png
Screenshot 2022-01-11 073534.png (85.1 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
Sandy_Trapp

Post by Sandy_Trapp »

Chad, how did you get those property windows? I'm using Norton 360 which over rides Windows Defender.
Nevermind, I found it.
Last edited by Sandy_Trapp on January 11th, 2022, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy_Trapp

Post by Sandy_Trapp »

Daniel wrote: January 11th, 2022, 9:02 am The only thing I can think of is when trying DMZ do you still have the ports open in Port Forwarding. If so take out the ports and just use the DMZ they do not work together. Another thing you could try is Port Triggers which I use instead of Port Forwarding. But has before do not have port Forwarding running as well. Something to watch out for is the last number of your Routers IPv4 address it should be the same in the DMZ or in the Port Forwarding. You do not need it in Port Triggers.
What are Port Triggers?
chad

Post by chad »

Norton 360 might be blocking things. Did you try to connect with it disabled?
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Port Triggers just open the ports you select without having to use the router's IP. I will tell you now if you are using Norton and it is not configured correctly to play Links you will have no chance of the game playing. Norton is a pain up the ass when it comes to Links 2003. If it was pre-installed when you bought your new Computer get rid of it and use Windows Defender it is as good as any other antivirus program.